What kind of health insurance do federal clerks in NYC get?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kitaykitay

What kind of health insurance do federal clerks in NYC get?

Postby kitaykitay » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 am

I'll be starting a clerkship in NYC in the fall, and I'd like to know what kind of health insurance federal clerks get. I'd like to see a doctor now, before my clerkship, but I'd like to pick one who will accept the health insurance I'll have in the fall.
Thanks.

elipad

Re: What kind of health insurance do federal clerks in NYC get?

Postby elipad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

kitaykitay wrote:I'll be starting a clerkship in NYC in the fall, and I'd like to know what kind of health insurance federal clerks get. I'd like to see a doctor now, before my clerkship, but I'd like to pick one who will accept the health insurance I'll have in the fall.
Thanks.

You have a few options to choose from, but most clerks I know chose BlueCross/BlueShield which is accepted pretty much everywhere. And the premium isn't too bad either!

jessuf

Re: What kind of health insurance do federal clerks in NYC get?

Postby jessuf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:57 pm

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/plan-codes/2015/states/ny.asp

I think this is right, but I don't see my plan on there. Could be because I'm not in NYC. I did side-by-side comparison for my jurisdiction and found that one of the Aetna plans had the best value based on premiums, monthly costs, deductibles, and coverage.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”