SSC vs Biglaw?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SSC vs Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Would taking a SSC clerkship be worth it when I have a (likely) biglaw offer lined up? Main reason I'm considering a possible SSC opportunity that recently arose is because firm I'm working at is in market A, but I want to work in market B. I feel like the SSC clerkship would allow me to switch markets without burning bridges. Thoughts? Thanks.

BVest

Re: SSC vs Biglaw?

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 pm

It depends on the state. Is it Market B's state? Is it a SSC of such stature to be roughly equivalent to an AIII clerkship in terms of how competitive it is to land?

Generally speaking, I don't think your problems will be so much about burning bridges as they are about explaining your desired change of market in interviews. That's not going to go away as a result of a clerkship (although it may be diminished if the SSC actually sits in Market B).

elipad

Postby elipad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:55 am

BVest wrote:It depends on the state. Is it Market B's state? Is it a SSC of such stature to be roughly equivalent to an AIII clerkship in terms of how competitive it is to land?

Generally speaking, I don't think your problems will be so much about burning bridges as they are about explaining your desired change of market in interviews. That's not going to go away as a result of a clerkship (although it may be diminished if the SSC actually sits in Market B).

Agreed. I infer from your post that Market B is where the SSC sits, otherwise it would seem less helpful. I think this move could be particularly beneficial if your Market A is not a major market but Market B is (e.g., Dallas--->NYC). Moreover, as BVest suggested, is the SSC roughly equivalent to an AIII clerkship? If CA or MA, I would imagine your credentials were sufficient to acquire a position in Market B anyway. If not, I think you should have an independent interest in the clerkship rather than solely to transfer markets as it's not guaranteed anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks for the input. So the SSC is actually in the same state as A and B. However B is much larger. Think Long Island vs. NYC. I had the credentials for B, but I didn't know how much work my interviewing needed until it was too late.

As for prestige of the SSC I'm not really sure where it lies on the spectrum. My concerns are that its much easier to lateral out of Market B as opposed to lateralling into Market B. Also, I'm generally interested in clerking, but I want to make sure I'm making the right move (if I do).

Thoughts in light of the updated info? Thanks all.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 pm

If the cities/markets are both within the same state as the SSC, then I would do it if firm B is a litigation focused firm.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”