Clerkship When Unsure About Lit or Corporate

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship When Unsure About Lit or Corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:04 am

I'm really unsure about whether to go lit or corporate at the moment (and thus whether a clerkship would be valuable), but I'm told the time to decide whether to pursue a clerkship is quickly approaching.

What is the best thing to do in this sort of situation? Wait till after my 2L summer to decide on lit or corporate, then apply for a clerkship to start a year after I start practicing if I decide on lit? Or apply now and risk that I'll decide on corporate?

WheninLaw

Re: Clerkship When Unsure About Lit or Corporate

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really unsure about whether to go lit or corporate at the moment (and thus whether a clerkship would be valuable), but I'm told the time to decide whether to pursue a clerkship is quickly approaching.

What is the best thing to do in this sort of situation? Wait till after my 2L summer to decide on lit or corporate, then apply for a clerkship to start a year after I start practicing if I decide on lit? Or apply now and risk that I'll decide on corporate?

Why would you apply for a one-year gig, with much worse pay, in a field you may not even want to work in?

Wait.

bruinfan10

Re: Clerkship When Unsure About Lit or Corporate

Postby bruinfan10 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really unsure about whether to go lit or corporate at the moment (and thus whether a clerkship would be valuable), but I'm told the time to decide whether to pursue a clerkship is quickly approaching.

it's not a terrible idea to clerk after a year of practice, esp from a financial standpoint. but you lose an application cycle and more importantly you have to consider your grades. i crushed first semester of 2L and applied like crazy because i was worried my GPA might go down. you might be in a diff situation.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”