2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
A. Nony Mouse

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick q: C+ in Admin. Law. All other grades just below, near or above median (B+). Am I fuct?

For some judges, sure. For others, your overall rank and school will matter more. Unless your "all other grades" are mostly above median your overall rank is probably as much of a problem as one bad grade. (I may be misunderstanding your description of your grades.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Judge Curiel's hiring for '17-'18?

Wondering same. I received receipt of my application 5 months ago or so... Just wondering if it's filled

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 pm

I see that some judges are still hiring for 2017-2018 even now, some having specified that they don't want applications until the summer before the start date. how do logistics work for these judges? Are these judges looking to hire people who are either currently working or struck out of OCI? or do firms keep offers open until 3L's (who've had SA) secure these clerkships?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I see that some judges are still hiring for 2017-2018 even now, some having specified that they don't want applications until the summer before the start date. how do logistics work for these judges? Are these judges looking to hire people who are either currently working or struck out of OCI? or do firms keep offers open until 3L's (who've had SA) secure these clerkships?

From what I've heard, it depends on the type of judges. The circuit/district ones are looking for people who have work experience. The magistrates/bankruptcy may accept some who have struck out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I see that some judges are still hiring for 2017-2018 even now, some having specified that they don't want applications until the summer before the start date. how do logistics work for these judges? Are these judges looking to hire people who are either currently working or struck out of OCI? or do firms keep offers open until 3L's (who've had SA) secure these clerkships?

From what I've heard, it depends on the type of judges. The circuit/district ones are looking for people who have work experience. The magistrates/bankruptcy may accept some who have struck out.

So it's rarely the case that a 3L with SA is looking into these judges?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I recently got a 2017 D. Ct. clerkship as a 3L with a SA and an offer. There are some judges still willing to hire law students straight out of school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Most judges will look at 3L's between SA and starting as a first year. If you're asking about firm policy re: clerkships, it varies depending on the firm. Most firms hold spots open for their SA's who want to clerk. Some do not, but they're rare. Talk to your firm.

FascinatedWanderer

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm

The judges who were hiring over the summer are often still looking for people straight out of law school. We are well beyond the summer now though, so I'm not entirely sure what the judges who post now are looking for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:12 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:The judges who were hiring over the summer are often still looking for people straight out of law school. We are well beyond the summer now though, so I'm not entirely sure what the judges who post now are looking for.

A lot are looking for work experience. However, there are still some that will take students directly out of law school if you have the right credentials. Anon from above who recently landed a clerkship. I've had a handful of interviews over the past few weeks.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”