2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 am

Any news from Murguia 9th cir?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 pm

anything from Bianco EDNY '18-'19

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Howard just posted full on OSCAR. With that, I believe all of the 1st Cir (at least active ones) are now full. Best luck in 2018.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Judge Selna -- CDCA?

You probably already know this, but he sent out an email saying he's done hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Just landed a N.D.Ill clerkship for 2017 term! Keep applying and interviewing: don't lose heart. (Struck out on both my prior interviews.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Lipez (1st) is interviewing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:22 am

8 COA interview offers ... 0 present clerkship offers.

I don't think I can do this anymore. As far as I can tell there isn't anything overtly wrong with my interview skills either (practice interviews with commentary provided, high success rate interviewing for other things in the past, strong oratory experiences, etc). Good luck to everyone else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:32 pm

I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.

While I understand this, part of the utility of clerking for me would come from doing it either in the market I will be working in or immediately out of law school. Due to where my life is (relationships, family, etc.) I am extremely turned off by the thought of moving to my market to work for a year or two, moving somewhere else for a clerkship, then moving back. I will 100% keep applying for things in my market for a year or two out, but in terms of other markets it just won't make sense for me to move around so much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.


True-ish. Original anon about 8 interviews. The issue is judges are frequently hiring so far out that a 2L apying now may be very well apply for posts that start after 2 years of work experience. Waiting until after you graduate to apply often means you have 3-5 years of working before the clerkship even starts..depending on the popularity of the location. Some of us want to start a life that includes relationships and family. Kind of hard to pick up and move for a year once you have a life. Thus the desirability of having it immediately (or soon) after law school.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:48 pm

I understand the desirabilility of clerking immediately after law school. I'm saying that's no longer very realistic for most people, even very qualified applicants. Everyone has to adjust their expectations: if clerking is important to you, it may fuck with your personal life.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I understand the desirabilility of clerking immediately after law school. I'm saying that's no longer very realistic for most people, even very qualified applicants. Everyone has to adjust their expectations: if clerking is important to you, it may fuck with your personal life.

Yeah, this is very true. For better or for worse, my adjustment is leaning towards not clerking rather than fucking with my personal life. I have lots of great opportunities otherwise, so I'm not trying to whine. I've always understood the chances of getting a job in such an esoteric area of the law. Still sucks to admit defeat.

Manali
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Manali » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Anyone applying for Court of Common Pleas (PA)? Is it too early to apply?

lawman84
Posts: 3309
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby lawman84 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.


True-ish. Original anon about 8 interviews. The issue is judges are frequently hiring so far out that a 2L apying now may be very well apply for posts that start after 2 years of work experience. Waiting until after you graduate to apply often means you have 3-5 years of working before the clerkship even starts..depending on the popularity of the location. Some of us want to start a life that includes relationships and family. Kind of hard to pick up and move for a year once you have a life. Thus the desirability of having it immediately (or soon) after law school.


Are you not interested in clerking at a D. Ct.? Can you not afford two years of clerking due to debt? Sounds like you've set your sights on COA courts. And you've gotten interviews so you have the credentials. You could go after a D. Ct. clerkship and then apply for a COA clerkship following. The D. Ct. clerkship being on your resume will only boost your chances.

That's what I'm doing. Mainly because I jumped into clerkship apps really late in the game.(second semester of 2L year)

Keep on trucking. If you got 8 COA interviews, I feel like you can secure a federal clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lipez (1st) is interviewing


Anyone know if he's given out offers yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:49 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.


True-ish. Original anon about 8 interviews. The issue is judges are frequently hiring so far out that a 2L apying now may be very well apply for posts that start after 2 years of work experience. Waiting until after you graduate to apply often means you have 3-5 years of working before the clerkship even starts..depending on the popularity of the location. Some of us want to start a life that includes relationships and family. Kind of hard to pick up and move for a year once you have a life. Thus the desirability of having it immediately (or soon) after law school.


Are you not interested in clerking at a D. Ct.? Can you not afford two years of clerking due to debt? Sounds like you've set your sights on COA courts. And you've gotten interviews so you have the credentials. You could go after a D. Ct. clerkship and then apply for a COA clerkship following. The D. Ct. clerkship being on your resume will only boost your chances.

That's what I'm doing. Mainly because I jumped into clerkship apps really late in the game.(second semester of 2L year)

Keep on trucking. If you got 8 COA interviews, I feel like you can secure a federal clerkship.


I just wish there was someone who I could talk to to get this off my chest. This sounds like whining (I know) and I know I'm fortunate to be in a position to be applying to clerkships at all, but I just can't make heads or tails of this extremely black box process

Everyone around me seems to be getting them, but =(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 pm

At least one of J. Ripple's (7th) spots has been offered and accepted.

JackOfAllTrades
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby JackOfAllTrades » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can relate, but I'm also totally jealous. I've been sending out applications almost daily. Nothing, not even a call.

I'm on the verge of calling it quits and just giving up.


tbh I'm not sure whats worse as I've had hope so many times and dropped so much money traveling. Also to clarify this has been over like a year long period and multiple cycles

I relate so strongly to Anon 1. When I breached the 100 apps line I felt strong and confident. But more than a year of literal silence after multiple adjustments to every piece of the application and talking to dozens of people about improvements to my application, and professors calling judges, and seemingly great stats... well, sometimes the black box just takes you in, chews you up, and spits you out. I will apply weekly to things I find, but after this next semester of grades, I have one last push in me and then I'm out.


Clerkship hiring is increasingly for 3Ls and alumni. If you haven't even graduated yet and you're giving up, you haven't even really started.


True-ish. Original anon about 8 interviews. The issue is judges are frequently hiring so far out that a 2L apying now may be very well apply for posts that start after 2 years of work experience. Waiting until after you graduate to apply often means you have 3-5 years of working before the clerkship even starts..depending on the popularity of the location. Some of us want to start a life that includes relationships and family. Kind of hard to pick up and move for a year once you have a life. Thus the desirability of having it immediately (or soon) after law school.


Are you not interested in clerking at a D. Ct.? Can you not afford two years of clerking due to debt? Sounds like you've set your sights on COA courts. And you've gotten interviews so you have the credentials. You could go after a D. Ct. clerkship and then apply for a COA clerkship following. The D. Ct. clerkship being on your resume will only boost your chances.

That's what I'm doing. Mainly because I jumped into clerkship apps really late in the game.(second semester of 2L year)

Keep on trucking. If you got 8 COA interviews, I feel like you can secure a federal clerkship.


I just wish there was someone who I could talk to to get this off my chest. This sounds like whining (I know) and I know I'm fortunate to be in a position to be applying to clerkships at all, but I just can't make heads or tails of this extremely black box process

Everyone around me seems to be getting them, but =(


I feel your pain. So far, I've had four interviews, all in district court. All of them were regional judges or judges that are alums of my school. I've gotten four rejections. Every judge so far has been interviewing around 10 candidates per available position. So, depending on the judge, you have around a 10% chance once you get the interview. I'm sure some judges don't interview that many, but perhaps they are more selective on the front end.

I am a 2L, and it seems (though I cannot confirm) that I am losing out to people with work experience. So I may just need to settle for a magistrate judge. I recommend you work for a dist. ct judge. If you got four COA interviews, you should have little problem getting a district court clerkship offer.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 pm

To the guy above me, relax! You're a 2L. Why don't you just apply as a 3L for 2018 and 2019, and then again as an alum?

lawman84
Posts: 3309
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby lawman84 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:To the guy above me, relax! You're a 2L. Why don't you just apply as a 3L for 2018 and 2019, and then again as an alum?


That's sound advice and I have a feeling he'll definitely follow it. I think we just all have it in our minds what we want to do so it sucks when reality hits you that things aren't going to be exactly the way you want them. But even still, it's not over yet. Seems like there are D. Ct. openings that pop up randomly so he'll likely still have chances for 2017. Just gotta keep persevering.

Manali
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Manali » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 am

Is hiring wrapped up for SC of PA? (for class of 2017).

User avatar
defdef
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:11 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby defdef » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 pm

I have 3 professor letters of recommendation and a judge letter of recommendation. For those judgess who don't otherwise indicate a limit on letters of recommendation, is it beneficial to send all 4 or should I drop one of the professor letters that is based almost solely on grade (the other two professors I've worked closely with in some capacity)?
Last edited by defdef on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.