2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:10 am

Probably answered elsewhere, but when applying as a 2L who has accepted an offer, do you include that on the resume as a prospective job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 pm

does greenaway (3rd) generally post on oscar? I would have expected him to have moved for 2017 already.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably answered elsewhere, but when applying as a 2L who has accepted an offer, do you include that on the resume as a prospective job?
Yep

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:does greenaway (3rd) generally post on oscar? I would have expected him to have moved for 2017 already.
He's in the process of considering applicants/offering interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:49 am

I can confirm that non-feeder district courts have begun receiving (and reviewing) unsolicited applications. Things are moving early.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:58 pm

i got a clerkship offer today. Message left and I'm supposed to call back. How long can I ask to sit on the offer normally? like I know some want it instantly and others don't care--i get each judge is different--but whats the longest that would even sound reasonable/ the longest you've heard allowed?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got a clerkship offer today. Message left and I'm supposed to call back. How long can I ask to sit on the offer normally? like I know some want it instantly and others don't care--i get each judge is different--but whats the longest that would even sound reasonable/ the longest you've heard allowed?
You should call back no later than tomorrow morning. From there it is going to depend on the judge. Some might expect you to accept on the spot, some might be happy to give you a few days to think about it -- maybe more if you have another interview coming up in the next week or so. More than a few days is going to be pushing it unless the judge tells you otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:14 am

Advice please. Say there is a judge who in past years has been on OSCAR. And in those years, he usually opens officially for applications in November (say 2014 for 2016 start). Your school has some direct lines into the judge -- enough to put in strong support after the app is in, but not enough to say "Hey judge it's professor x, stop your search before it starts, we have a clerk for you."

Do you (a) wait until judge officially opens for business on OSCAR or (b) send in a paper app unsolicited? (I guess I'm just generally confused about unsolicited. Like I could see why it's done because who wants to miss the chance, but could also see why it could backfire.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am

Advice please. Say there is a judge who in past years has been on OSCAR. And in those years, he usually opens officially for applications in November (say 2014 for 2016 start). Your school has some direct lines into the judge -- enough to put in strong support after the app is in, but not enough to say "Hey judge it's professor x, stop your search before it starts, we have a clerk for you."

Do you (a) wait until judge officially opens for business on OSCAR or (b) send in a paper app unsolicited? (I guess I'm just generally confused about unsolicited. Like I could see why it's done because who wants to miss the chance, but could also see why it could backfire.)

Call chambers and ask. If they tell you that they'll trash any unsolicited apps, wait until he posts on OSCAR. If not, go ahead and send it in, then get your school/profs/recommenders to call on your behalf as soon as the OSCAR post goes up.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Advice please. Say there is a judge who in past years has been on OSCAR. And in those years, he usually opens officially for applications in November (say 2014 for 2016 start). Your school has some direct lines into the judge -- enough to put in strong support after the app is in, but not enough to say "Hey judge it's professor x, stop your search before it starts, we have a clerk for you."

Just call chambers and ask. I've already had this call a few times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Advice please. Say there is a judge who in past years has been on OSCAR. And in those years, he usually opens officially for applications in November (say 2014 for 2016 start). Your school has some direct lines into the judge -- enough to put in strong support after the app is in, but not enough to say "Hey judge it's professor x, stop your search before it starts, we have a clerk for you."

You use the direct lines to get your app into chambers. If nothing happens, you apply again on OSCAR.

Perhaps other have had other experiences, but in my chambers (2d/9th/DC Cir), if we are not looking at apps yet, that means we're not looking at them. Accordingly, no one is going to remember that you applied early and hold it against you or some such thing. The biggest challenge in getting hired, as far as I can tell, is getting your app pulled out of the massive pile of apps. You're 100x more likely to get looked at through a direct line than through OSCAR. And if you get pulled through a direct line and don't get hired, you were never going to get hired through OSCAR anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm

...no one is going to remember that you applied early and hold it against you or some such thing.
Can others confirm? (Probably just being a neurotic 2L, but I do worry about this.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
...no one is going to remember that you applied early and hold it against you or some such thing.
Can others confirm? (Probably just being a neurotic 2L, but I do worry about this.)
Recently departed COA (feeder) clerk here. I agree with the prior poster. No harm in sending the app early.

apa80

New

Post by apa80 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Recently departed COA (feeder) clerk here. I agree with the prior poster. No harm in sending the app early.
It seems like you would also want to reach out to those "direct lines." If someone at the school has a strong connection and has placed clerks there before, they probably know how to get an application in front of the judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:20 pm

I sent in an unsolicited app to a newly confirmed COA judge. The judge wrote me back personally to say they weren't reviewing apps yet but appreciated my interest. It wouldn't surprise me if that played a big part in bumping me to the front of the line when the judge started reviewing apps, and I ultimately got one of the first interviews and an offer on the spot.

As others have said, it can't hurt, and it may help you stand out a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does greenaway (3rd) generally post on oscar? I would have expected him to have moved for 2017 already.
Do you have a sense of the number of interview invitations he extends?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have a sense of the number of interview invitations he extends?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:53 pm

I've had multiple interviews recently and no responses (nothing "yes" or "no" yet). Why do they do this to us? just interview people in a confined time period....

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had multiple interviews recently and no responses (nothing "yes" or "no" yet). Why do they do this to us? just interview people in a confined time period....
Believe it or not, judges actually have better things to do than hire clerks. Interviews are time consuming and it isn't all that easy to fit them into a judge's busy schedule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:40 am

When does Fuentes (3rd) generally move? Anyone have any info?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:47 am

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had multiple interviews recently and no responses (nothing "yes" or "no" yet). Why do they do this to us? just interview people in a confined time period....
Believe it or not, judges actually have better things to do than hire clerks. Interviews are time consuming and it isn't all that easy to fit them into a judge's busy schedule.
Students are busy too amd have to actually travel on their own dime to interviews. Also students have to do a balancing act because of all of the rules around accepting offers. Its not all that ridiculous to ask for a somewhat prompt response.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:55 am

CourCour wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Students are busy too amd have to actually travel on their own dime to interviews. Also students have to do a balancing act because of all of the rules around accepting offers. Its not all that ridiculous to ask for a somewhat prompt response.
I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of the inefficiencies and frustrations (of future clerks and judges) of the current system.

http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/ ... _economics

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

codyoneill wrote:
CourCour wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of the inefficiencies and frustrations (of future clerks and judges) of the current system.

http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/ ... _economics
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Waiting does suck, but candidates can't always interview in the same timeframe, and if it's district court, trials can grind everything to a halt (I'd imagine that oral argument can have a similar effect at the COA level, especially if the judge is traveling.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”