2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:09 am

Checking in.

Have already started applying for any 2071-2018 clerkships in my target markets (DC/NY) that are posted on Oscar.

Stats:
Rising 3L
T-14
3.96
Working as a summer associate at a V50 this summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:53 am

Median or slightly below median Kjd SLS with only ties to the 9th circuit. State school ug, white female. Could reasonably apply to more conservative judges.

I'm making the right choice sitting this cycle out and applying for 2018-19, right? Or will one year of WE (well, projected one year) not make a difference? I'm willing to wait 2 but feel like waiting three and I'd start to have to limit (geographically) where I apply.

sabrina8740
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby sabrina8740 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in.

Have already started applying for any 2071-2018 clerkships in my target markets (DC/NY) that are posted on Oscar.

Stats:
Rising 3L
T-14
3.96
Working as a summer associate at a V50 this summer.


How are you checking OSCAR? Every time I try to access it, I get an error message that it will be unavailable until June 15th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:49 am

Checking in as well. Rising 3L, CCN, was top 5% last year, now closer to top 15%. Rough year.

Applied to some circuits for 2016-2017, had a couple interviews, didn't really mesh with anyone. Aimed fairly high given 1L grades, but now am obviously going to need to shoot for less competitive positions.

Is DDC a possibility/worth applying to? I've heard they prefer work experience, and the 2017-2018 cycle will be after I've had a year of firm life (or a year of another clerkship, elsewhere). Am at a DC firm this summer and looking to stay here long term, with a focus on regulatory work. Not deadset on clerking if it's not a good fit.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at UVA . I had one B+ and about an even mix of As/A-s apart from that. My GPA is in the 3.75-3.8 range, probably somewhere in the top 10% (I don't know for sure because my LS doesn't release the rankings).

3 questions: 1) when do rising 2Ls generally start applying to CoA clerkships? 2) Where am I competitive for CoA + District cts. (I'm guessing definitely not 2/9/DC/other random feeders)? 3) Does being a URM matter at all for these purposes? I am AA for what it's worth.


Anyone? I edited my post to give more info since I'm posting anonymously. I could really use some guidance on this.


1) See who considers applicants with only one year's worth of grades - apply to those judges.

2) Honestly man, I think you're a lot more competitive than you think. Being an AA and UVA LR grade-on puts you in rarefied air. I'm not sure about feeders, but Watford from the 9th Circuit may be worth a look. I would apply broadly, though, especially to liberal judges (some have a tendency to hire diverse candidates, especially AA). There are also a ton of judges in EDVA that traditionally hire AA clerks (Jackson from Norfolk comes to mind).

3) Yes.

Good luck.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:58 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at UVA . I had one B+ and about an even mix of As/A-s apart from that. My GPA is in the 3.75-3.8 range, probably somewhere in the top 10% (I don't know for sure because my LS doesn't release the rankings).

3 questions: 1) when do rising 2Ls generally start applying to CoA clerkships? 2) Where am I competitive for CoA + District cts. (I'm guessing definitely not 2/9/DC/other random feeders)? 3) Does being a URM matter at all for these purposes? I am AA for what it's worth.


Anyone? I edited my post to give more info since I'm posting anonymously. I could really use some guidance on this.


1) See who considers applicants with only one year's worth of grades - apply to those judges.

2) Honestly man, I think you're a lot more competitive than you think. Being an AA and UVA LR grade-on puts you in rarefied air. I'm not sure about feeders, but Watford from the 9th Circuit may be worth a look. I would apply broadly, though, especially to liberal judges (some have a tendency to hire diverse candidates, especially AA). There are also a ton of judges in EDVA that traditionally hire AA clerks (Jackson from Norfolk comes to mind).

3) Yes.

Good luck.


I think URM matters a lot for some judges and none for others. You should apply to every AA circuit judge in the country. Since you're at UVA, you should DEFINITELY apply to Judge Gregory on the Fourth Circuit. I've heard great things about him, and I think he's up there in terms of best writers on the circuit (from my time clerking at a district court within the Fourth Circuit). Not sure if he prefers AA applicants, but he would be my first choice if I were you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:36 pm

3.9x at MVP, rising 2L. Assuming that puts me toward (but probably not at) the top of my class, I figure it's worth a shot to apply to feeders, but does anyone know when the "early" judges really get going? I pretty much don't have a clue what the timeline is, except that by August things might be moving for some judges. Do early feeders move much sooner than that?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.9x at MVP, rising 2L. Assuming that puts me toward (but probably not at) the top of my class, I figure it's worth a shot to apply to feeders, but does anyone know when the "early" judges really get going? I pretty much don't have a clue what the timeline is, except that by August things might be moving for some judges. Do early feeders move much sooner than that?


Early August is about right. I knew a few last cycle who were interviewing a bit before that, but that was mostly through the fedsoc network. I'd get your recs taken care of in early summer and start talking with whatever professors at MVP have clerkship connections about what your goals are, where you'd like to end up, what your political affiliations are, etc. It helps if you're still living within easy distance to your school and have some time flexibility to meet with profs.

In my experience, most of what happens at the earliest stage is someone making a call on your behalf to alumni clerks, and going from there. Feel free to PM if you want more of a runthrough on that process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:51 pm

HLS. DS, 5H, 4P w good experience, strong we and ties to CA (which probably doesn't matter since 9th Cir. prob totally out). Thoughts on if ok to wait to apply until fall, and what I'm looking at?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am

Any movement from feeders?

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby papercut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Image

Can anyone from UVA post an updated version of the above? If not, can you just comment in general terms whether it's representative of the current numbers? Thanks.

If it's representative I don't see how being "only" in the top 10% at CLS puts you out of the running for COA clerkships.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Emma. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 pm

papercut wrote:[img]

Can anyone from UVA post an updated version of the above? If not, can you just comment in general terms whether it's representative of the current numbers? Thanks.

If it's representative I don't see how being "only" in the top 10% at CLS puts you out of the running for COA clerkships.


I suspect those numbers have changed. I've heard a lot about how clerkship hiring has become significantly more competitive over the last 5-10 years.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 pm

grade inflation has occurred at virtually every non-HYS t14 and the recession really increased the competitiveness of clerkships. Relying on any data from 8 years ago isn't wise

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby papercut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Emma. wrote:
papercut wrote:[img]

Can anyone from UVA post an updated version of the above? If not, can you just comment in general terms whether it's representative of the current numbers? Thanks.

If it's representative I don't see how being "only" in the top 10% at CLS puts you out of the running for COA clerkships.


I suspect those numbers have changed. I've heard a lot about how clerkship hiring has become significantly more competitive over the last 5-10 years.


Yeah and (but?) I think UVA (and CLS, and probably others) have inflated their curves since.

(scooped)

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Even if those GPAs haven't changed, what percentiles are they so you can compare with Columbia? If Columbia and UVA don't use the same curve, that list doesn't tell Columbia people very much.

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby papercut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Even if those GPAs haven't changed, what percentiles are they so you can compare with Columbia? If Columbia and UVA don't use the same curve, that list doesn't tell Columbia people very much.


Good point. Here's what they said in the thread:

Image

ahemmer
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby ahemmer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.9x at MVP, rising 2L. Assuming that puts me toward (but probably not at) the top of my class, I figure it's worth a shot to apply to feeders, but does anyone know when the "early" judges really get going? I pretty much don't have a clue what the timeline is, except that by August things might be moving for some judges. Do early feeders move much sooner than that?


Early August is about right. I knew a few last cycle who were interviewing a bit before that, but that was mostly through the fedsoc network. I'd get your recs taken care of in early summer and start talking with whatever professors at MVP have clerkship connections about what your goals are, where you'd like to end up, what your political affiliations are, etc. It helps if you're still living within easy distance to your school and have some time flexibility to meet with profs.

In my experience, most of what happens at the earliest stage is someone making a call on your behalf to alumni clerks, and going from there. Feel free to PM if you want more of a runthrough on that process.

I suspect early August will be late for the "early" feeder judges this year. Last year, this would have been about right, though maybe a bit late -- many if not most true feeders were hiring by the end of July. This year, I think it's very likely the feeder judges will be hiring by early July (when all spring 2015 grades are in and law review results are out at HY). I'm currently clerking for one; we've begun receiving rising 2L applications, though only a few.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:37 pm

I know of some feeders already scheduling interviews. They're moving even sooner, folks. Buckle in.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 am

ahemmer wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.9x at MVP, rising 2L. Assuming that puts me toward (but probably not at) the top of my class, I figure it's worth a shot to apply to feeders, but does anyone know when the "early" judges really get going? I pretty much don't have a clue what the timeline is, except that by August things might be moving for some judges. Do early feeders move much sooner than that?


Early August is about right. I knew a few last cycle who were interviewing a bit before that, but that was mostly through the fedsoc network. I'd get your recs taken care of in early summer and start talking with whatever professors at MVP have clerkship connections about what your goals are, where you'd like to end up, what your political affiliations are, etc. It helps if you're still living within easy distance to your school and have some time flexibility to meet with profs.

In my experience, most of what happens at the earliest stage is someone making a call on your behalf to alumni clerks, and going from there. Feel free to PM if you want more of a runthrough on that process.

I suspect early August will be late for the "early" feeder judges this year. Last year, this would have been about right, though maybe a bit late -- many if not most true feeders were hiring by the end of July. This year, I think it's very likely the feeder judges will be hiring by early July (when all spring 2015 grades are in and law review results are out at HY). I'm currently clerking for one; we've begun receiving rising 2L applications, though only a few.


Jeez, that's nuts. From my experience last year not much was closed off when I started looking in late July/early August, so I figured it'd be about the same--but it makes sense that would just creep forward closer and closer to when grades & LR come out over the summer. What a bonkers system.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 am

Wow. I've heard of a few accepting applications, but hadn't heard that any had started scheduling interviews. Can you say which circuit(s)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:03 am

My prior (feeder) judge has been reviewing applications for a few weeks now. And my current judge is also in the process. It isn't just feeders moving now, folks. Saddle up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 am

So are folks with later law review results out of luck for some judges? Or should we submit without LR results to get the application on the table before everything is over?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Rising 2L here. 3.66 Stone scholar at CLS. LR won't be released for another 2 weeks, but I'm going to start applying to the Circuits. I know (think/hope) I'm competitive at most of the Circuits, but should I stay away from DC, 2, 7, and 9, at least for this round and wait for another semester of grades to come in, or am I competitive for those circuits too? TYIA.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L here. 3.66 Stone scholar at CLS. LR won't be released for another 2 weeks, but I'm going to start applying to the Circuits. I know (think/hope) I'm competitive at most of the Circuits, but should I stay away from DC, 2, 7, and 9, at least for this round and wait for another semester of grades to come in, or am I competitive for those circuits too? TYIA.


Thinking about it terms of circuits is not the way to go. Not every judge on the 2/7/9 is that competitive. Probably better to think of it as (1) feeders, (2) other more well-known judges (particularly those in major metro areas), and (3) everyone else.

I can't really speak to whether your GPA at CLS is competitive for circuit judges generally, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

3.66 at CLS is around top 15% I think. Probably competitive for some judges, but I doubt "competitive at most circuits" is an accurate way to characterize it.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.