Post-COA clerkship job options

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-COA clerkship job options

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2015 11:42 am

I thought about putting this in the post-clerkship hiring thread, but it isn't for that year so I didn't want to clutter it. Assuming I attended a lower ranked school (not top 30) but very high in the class (summa) with high L. Rev. positions with a 2/9/DC clerkship, are there any major firms that would still be relatively skeptical to hire the LA/DC area? Will be coming off time at a V10 but curious what other options will potentially be open. Thinking the major lit shops (GDC, MTO, W&C, Jones Day, Quinn Emanuel).

rpupkin

Re: Post-COA clerkship job options

Postby rpupkin » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought about putting this in the post-clerkship hiring thread, but it isn't for that year so I didn't want to clutter it. Assuming I attended a lower ranked school (not top 30) but very high in the class (summa) with high L. Rev. positions with a 2/9/DC clerkship, are there any major firms that would still be relatively skeptical to hire the LA/DC area? Will be coming off time at a V10 but curious what other options will potentially be open. Thinking the major lit shops (GDC, MTO, W&C, Jones Day, Quinn Emanuel).

Yeah, your law school might be a problem for at least W&C and MTO. It wouldn't hurt to apply, though. Also, "2/9/DC" isn't really a thing. If you're looking for COA clerking prestige points, the judge you clerked for matters way more than the circuit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 12:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought about putting this in the post-clerkship hiring thread, but it isn't for that year so I didn't want to clutter it. Assuming I attended a lower ranked school (not top 30) but very high in the class (summa) with high L. Rev. positions with a 2/9/DC clerkship, are there any major firms that would still be relatively skeptical to hire the LA/DC area? Will be coming off time at a V10 but curious what other options will potentially be open. Thinking the major lit shops (GDC, MTO, W&C, Jones Day, Quinn Emanuel).

Yeah, your law school might be a problem for at least W&C and MTO. It wouldn't hurt to apply, though. Also, "2/9/DC" isn't really a thing. If you're looking for COA clerking prestige points, the judge you clerked for matters way more than the circuit.

Okay. Well similar question to OP. Let's say not a feeder judge, just an active COA, and not in one of the major markets. Is that going to be enough to break into LA or DC from a prior NYC V10, with top 25% T14?

The feeder/non-feeder difference tends to be emphasized so often that I really don't have a clue anymore what a "normal" COA can swing.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon May 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Okay. Well similar question to OP. Let's say not a feeder judge, just an active COA, and not in one of the major markets. Is that going to be enough to break into LA or DC from a prior NYC V10, with top 25% T14?

Yeah, you're probably fine. To be clear, there's a significant difference between "enough to break into LA or DC" and "enough to get MTO or W&C".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 7:44 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Outside of the obvious names (Kozinski, kavanaugh) you think firms in DC/LA care as much about clerks from any circuit as much as the one they are based in?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”