Am I crazy? Chances for postclerkship in NY?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
marcotomas

Am I crazy? Chances for postclerkship in NY?

Postby marcotomas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I'll be finishing up a federal district court clerkship in October. I'm licensed in Illinois. I'm from Chicago. And went to school here. I did my first state court appellate clerkship here and my second clerkship here at the ND Ill. So naturally, I want to move to NEW YORK to do litigation at a firm (Don't ask why. I'll just say my reasons for the move are more motivated by personal reasons than professional ones.)

I anticipate the potential roadblocks to be:
1) Law school. I went to a "local" school. That being said, I graduated tops in my class with a near-perfect GPA. And for what it's worth I went to an "elite" undergrad.
2) Bar admissions. I'd have to take the NY bar. I'm still a couple years from reciprocity.
3) Chicago. Firms will shy away from me because I'm too Chicago-centric.

Are these too much to overcome? Anyone have any idea of my chances of getting into litigation in NY or any advice on how to start the search? I have until October to lock something down, but I'm concerned because I have to imagine NY firms are even bigger school snobs than the Chicago firms, and the Chicago firms are pretty brutal when it comes to this. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

dingus

Re: Am I crazy? Chances for postclerkship in NY?

Postby dingus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:36 am

I don't think you're the first person who wants to move to NYC without any real ties.

I can't imagine it would be that big of a problem.

jimmythecatdied6

Re: Am I crazy? Chances for postclerkship in NY?

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:23 am

You are pretty late to the game, but I think if you apply broadly enough you may get some bites. New York City is a big market - not every firm can be "snobbish."

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”