SDNY Magistrate or hold out?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SDNY Magistrate or hold out?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:11 pm

2L at a top 5-10% with LR @ a lower half t-14. Trying to break into SDNY but not getting many bites right now, but might have an opportunity with a magistrate judge. I've been reading some of the threads, but how much of a drop of it? Looking at some of the v10 firms, I see a number of associates from T6 schools who clerked for magistrate judges for example. I don't really have any aim for academia in the future.

The alternative seems to be to go work for a firm for a few years and then try to clerk, but it's still never guaranteed. Especially curious of what NY associates think when considering their and peers' careers.

Anonymous User

Re: SDNY Magistrate or hold out?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Are you summering for a firm that will let you clerk for a magistrate judge and then return to the firm? If so, then I would go for the mag clerkship. Based on my experience, SDNY is very very tough to crack without some prior work experience or amazing grades/academic credentials.

Even top 5-10% at a lower t14 might not be good enough to get an Art. 3 SDNY clerkship right out of law school. Clerking for a magistrate judge in SDNY could be a good way to crack into SDNY d. ct. judges. Or you could clerk for the MJ, then work in your firm for a few years, and try again.

tl;dr: I don't think it can hurt you to clerk for the SDNY MJ if you have a firm you can go back to after you're done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:30 am

2L at a top 5-10% with LR @ a lower half t-14.

I would definitely wait. In my own experience, I got a LOT more interest after I graduated and had some time at a firm. Started my clerkship after a year in private practice. You have plenty of time left.

And also consider DNJ, EDNY, DCONN. Those are great districts and would be way better resume-wise than SDNY Magistrate, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:25 am

Why is SDNY so important, and specifically why compared to another attractive district court (which you would have a strong chance of landing?)

If you can't leave NYC or for some other reason SDNY is your sole option, then I think the advice to take the magistrate judge (provided no anger at your firm) makes total sense. Otherwise, there's not much advice we can provide; just continue at your firm and apply every year.

If you're artifically or arbitrarily limiting yourself to SDNY, then consider other options. Many other excellent district courts are within reach. Hell, you could even try to get a COA first (CT 2nd Cir. or NJ/PA 3rd. Cir.) and then be a stronger SDNY applicant.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”