Working before starting clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Working before starting clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Graduating this year and starting a clerkship in the fall. In the process of budgeting and would love to bring in a little money before I start my clerkship. In just thinking through things preliminarily, I thought one possible option would be to try to find a doc review job over the summer, but I wasn't sure whether that was kosher. Does anyone know if there is any rule against taking on another job before my clerkship begins? Is that the sort of thing I'd have to clear with my judge first?

(Also if anyone has any thoughts as to the feasibility of this idea even if permissible, I'd be curious to hear those thoughts too)

Thanks in advance

AreJay711

Re: Working before starting clerkship?

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 pm

The problem is some (all?) doc review jobs require passing the bar. It also can take a while to get staffed on something. I worked with a legal staffing agency and they found me a litigation support gig, but it was a several-month project and I couldn't take it. You can ask your judge, but it is almost certainly permissible.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Just wait tables.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Graduating this year and starting a clerkship in the fall. In the process of budgeting and would love to bring in a little money before I start my clerkship. In just thinking through things preliminarily, I thought one possible option would be to try to find a doc review job over the summer, but I wasn't sure whether that was kosher. Does anyone know if there is any rule against taking on another job before my clerkship begins? Is that the sort of thing I'd have to clear with my judge first?

(Also if anyone has any thoughts as to the feasibility of this idea even if permissible, I'd be curious to hear those thoughts too)

Thanks in advance

just pass the bar

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Ask the other clerks if there is any concern about possible conflicts of interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Don't you have to study for the bar? If you're taking the bar, please study. Don't fail and have to tell your judge.

If you for some reason don't have to study, then work a fun job that will bring in some extra dough. Be a waiter, learn how to bar tend. Whatever. Be a barrista. I had some time before I started my clerkship, and I volunteered at a law clinic for a cause I care about (had the luxury of not having to worry about bringing in extra dough). Loved it and made some great friends and connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:41 pm

also if you are applying for honors program after clerkship, you have to watch out that you do not lose your eligibility so look into that requirement.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”