Do I even stand a chance for D.Ct. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Do I even stand a chance for D.Ct.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 am

As a threshold matter, the reason I'm posting anon is b/c some people at school have figured out who I am.

Goal: D.Ct. (not picky w/ geography, tho CDCA would be top choice)

Anyways, I am a 2L who will finish this year with about 3.53-55 at UVA. I will spend my third year in France getting a joint degree (M.A. in economic law at Sciences Po)

K-JD

Proactive steps I'm taking

1. writing a note
2. hopefully will get recs from: 1. teacher I'm writing note for (taken two classes with) 2. another prof I've taken two classes with 3. the state appellate judge I externed for after 1L. I don't think the profs could make a phone call, as I don't think they have ties to judges I'd maybe be competitive for. The state appellate judge, however, might be willing to put in a good word

Anonymous User

Re: Do I even stand a chance for D.Ct.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 am

How does 3.53-.55 break out at UVA? Top third? Top 10%? I understand if UVA doesn't rank, but are you on track for Coif?

You mentioned a Note for a professor? Does that mean you are not on L. Rev. or a secondary journal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:40 am

As a UVA grad, I would say that your chances are slim to none if you are trying to snag a clerkship coming directly out of law school (especially for any district in CA).

I would focus on improving your GPA as much as possible and getting that publication. Assuming you can do those two things, you will have a decent shot as an alumni applicant.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 pm

3.55 is not close to Coif. Probably top-thirdish?

The hot California districts (CDCA and NDCA) are very, very competitive. Do not expect to get an offer in those districts. Other than that, what can you do but apply widely and see what happens? FWIW, I think the Sciences Po year will hurt your chances generally, although it may make you stand out to some francophile judge.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:26 pm

no one has felt comfortable appointing a francophile judge since jefferson

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:32 pm

I had similar grades from UMich, K-JD, no note, secondary journal ed board, and got interviews. I also had a clerkship with a state supreme court first though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Will be tough getting into competitive districts like CDCA and SDNY. If that GPA is indeed top third. Improve your grades. If you really want to clerk and it's your dream, then apply everywhere and anywhere. If you get a d. ct. clerkship in flyover country, you may able to parlay that into a d. ct. clerkship in a more competitive district, if that's your ultimate goal. For example, I had a friend who clerked in Brownsville, TX, and was able to use that experience to convince a judge in CDCA to hire him (also had ties to CA).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will be tough getting into competitive districts like CDCA and SDNY. If that GPA is indeed top third. Improve your grades. If you really want to clerk and it's your dream, then apply everywhere and anywhere. If you get a d. ct. clerkship in flyover country, you may able to parlay that into a d. ct. clerkship in a more competitive district, if that's your ultimate goal. For example, I had a friend who clerked in Brownsville, TX, and was able to use that experience to convince a judge in CDCA to hire him (also had ties to CA).
Yep. I graduated just above median from a T40, applied to about 200 clerkships, got one interview, and got the job. It's in semi-flyover, but in my home state and I'm pretty happy here.

Been here about 9 months and it has been worth the time and effort entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”