Judges that don't use OSCAR

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judges that don't use OSCAR

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:29 pm

About me: Two years out of law school; at a firm; interested in clerking but really only in the city I live in. There's one D. Ct. judge in particular for whom I'd like to work. I interned in his chambers in LS, but I've never appeared before him. That said, he likes me and seems to think well of the work I did for him (he was also my trial practice prof).

Thing is, clerkship info regarding his office is a black box. This is what's on his OSCAR page, which hasn't been updated in years:

I assume that I could just send him a standard bundle of stuff that goes into a clerkship app, but I feel like doing this on my own (cold) would be weird given that he knows who I am. Any thoughts as to how to proceed?

nevdash

Re: Judges that don't use OSCAR

Postby nevdash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Seems like your plan should depend on how close you were with the judge. Had you ever talked to the judge directly by phone or email (outside of class/work stuff)? If so, shoot him a call or email to catch up/express your interest in clerking for him. If not, call his chambers, speak to one of his clerks about hiring, and make sure to mention your history with the judge.

Good luck.

davidagnew

Re: Judges that don't use OSCAR

Postby davidagnew » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:30 pm

Earlier this month (April 2016), I cold-called many such OSCAR "black box" d. ct. chambers. The almost always friendly (only once did I get the sense that s/he was annoyed I called), and a significant portion that advertised no positions on OSCAR indicated that they wanted me to mail in application materials.

It frustrates one benefit of OSCAR, but I think the best strategy is to call and ask, unless OSCAR tells you the position is already filled, or there is some note like "only has career clerks." You will find more judges who are hiring and accepting applications.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”