Does anyone know what top 1/4 is at UVA? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TFALAWL

Bronze

Does anyone know what top 1/4 is at UVA?

Post by TFALAWL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 am

I know that in the old days, they used to list 3.48 on the transcripts. Since the grade change however, it appears that top 1/4 after three semesters is 3.58. That said, I remember reading about how at Cornell (which uses a similar grading mechanism) grades tend to peak after the third semester and drop a little by graduation. My (purely speculative) guess, is that top 1/4 is around 3.53-55, but I would appreciate it if anyone could substantiate it.

As an aside, I understand why UVA doesn't release class rank, but it doesn't make sense that they don't release relative percentiles, as this would be helpful when applying to judges who directly ask "where does this put you in your class."

Thoughts?

TheOnePercent

New

Re: Does anyone know what top 1/4 is at UVA?

Post by TheOnePercent » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:24 am

As a matter of fact, yes. See here.

ETA: leaked 2014 data gives you a pretty good ideal of entire distribution as well.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:30 am

TheOnePercent wrote:As a matter of fact, yes. See here.

ETA: leaked 2014 data gives you a pretty good ideal of entire distribution as well.
Right, but that was after 3 semesters. Like I said, if Cornell is any indication, grades tend to drop come graduation time

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 am

Regression to the mean for the win. It also helps that a lot of people just don't care during 3L and take clinics that give out all B+'s.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:54 pm

TFALAWL wrote:
TheOnePercent wrote:As a matter of fact, yes. See here.

Right, but that was after 3 semesters. Like I said, if Cornell is any indication, grades tend to drop come graduation time
How does that happen? At Northwestern, grades go through the roof after 1L. I would assume it has a lot to do with elective grading policies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”