Magistrate -> D. Ct. -> COA?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Magistrate -> D. Ct. -> COA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I know going from District Court to COA is fairly common. Is it feasible for someone that might not be competitive for a D. Ct. clerkship right after graduation to instead clerk for a magistrate judge and so on?

Anonymous User

Re: Magistrate -> D. Ct. -> COA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Absolutely. I know a lot of people who go from Mag to D Ct. And I know one person who later went COA, too.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Yeah, I know people who did Mag --> DCt, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 pm

With regard to "climbing the [clerkship] ladder" - would one want to target Mag judges in districts with a large number of D. Ct. judges (which are likely to be more competitive), or in less competitive districts (which are likely to have a smaller number of judges but also perhaps a better chance of getting to know said judges)?

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 am

d ct clerk here. the answer is less competitive dists

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:59 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:d ct clerk here. the answer is less competitive dists

I don't think there is an objectively right answer here. Anecdotally, I know a bunch of people who did magistrate in competitive districts (think EDVA, NDIL) for a year and then clerked for a d. Ct in same district

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:16 am

Based on my experience, target districts where the magistrates are used a lot and where the mags interact and have good relationships with the d. ct. judges. Some districts use their mags extensively. Some use them sparingly. Some districts' mags don't really interact with the DJs, and there's almost this snobbish hierarchy. Other districts, the MJs and DJs are pretty much treated the same and have equal regard for one another. Ask around, talk with clerks from districts you're thinking about.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”