Is D/COA clerkship hiring regional? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Is D/COA clerkship hiring regional?

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 am

Will grades, prof. recs overcome any distance? For example what's it like coming from a midwestern t20 applying for a coastal clerkship?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Is D/COA clerkship hiring regional?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:21 am

It will depend on the judge. (This seems to be the answer for all clerkship questions.) There are some judges who care very much about ties, often because they want to hire someone who's going to practice in their district. There are plenty of judges who don't care, and I've seen people clerk all over the place compared to where their school/ties are because they had other qualities (grades or connections or whatever) that caught a judge's eye.

I tend to think that if you're not at a T14/national school, you may have better luck with judges in your law school's circuit/where you have ties can help, because of the judges who do want to see ties. But everyone should apply really widely anyway. And if you have connections via a prof/employer, that can totally trump any regional advantage/disadvantage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I've found that the highly selective and more prestigious districts (SDNY/CDCA, etc.) tend to just hire the best students from the best schools. CDCA isn't really going to care if you went to a school in CA, for example.

However, from my experience, other districts will care more about ties. If you're applying to D. Neb., you should have some ties. If you didn't go to law school there, you should have family or have gone to HS there.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've found that the highly selective and more prestigious districts (SDNY/CDCA, etc.) tend to just hire the best students from the best schools. CDCA isn't really going to care if you went to a school in CA, for example.

However, from my experience, other districts will care more about ties. If you're applying to D. Neb., you should have some ties. If you didn't go to law school there, you should have family or have gone to HS there.
Yeah, this is my impression as well. There will probably be some judges in the non-coastal districts who'll hire for pedigree/from anywhere, but the judges who care about ties are more likely to be in non-coastal/less prestigious parts of the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”