Sending LOCI to judge? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Sending LOCI to judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 pm

I met 2 former clerks of 2 judges I applied to last night at a networking event. I hit it off with them and everything went really well. Do you think it would be a good idea to send a LOCI to these judges expressing continued interest and explaining how I met the clerks, etc.? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Sending LOCI to judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 am

I'm a current district court clerk. If something like this arrived at our chambers while we were still hiring (which we are), we would read it and most likely check out the person's application again. If it was very strong, and we'd somehow missed it the first time through, we'd pass it along to the judge. Otherwise, we wouldn't.

In other words, I don't think a letter of this sort would be likely to hurt you, but it also wouldn't push you over the top unless you were already a very strong candidate. That's just our chambers, though.

I hope that's helpful in some way.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Sending LOCI to judge?

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current district court clerk. If something like this arrived at our chambers while we were still hiring (which we are), we would read it and most likely check out the person's application again. If it was very strong, and we'd somehow missed it the first time through, we'd pass it along to the judge. Otherwise, we wouldn't.

In other words, I don't think a letter of this sort would be likely to hurt you, but it also wouldn't push you over the top unless you were already a very strong candidate. That's just our chambers, though.

I hope that's helpful in some way.
Good post. I think this likely applies to the vast majority of chambers.

Oh, and OP: if you decide to write the letter, make sure it isn't weird. Applicants generally don't write LOCIs to judges, and there's a bit of a risk here that you'll come off as strange if you express too much enthusiasm over meeting the judge's former clerks at a network event. Have a couple people you trust read your letter first.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”