Did I mess up?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Did I mess up?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:39 pm

I interviewed with Judge A in December. He said he would respond in about a month. I started externing with Judge B in January (about a month after the interview with Judge A). I also submitted a clerkship application to Judge B. Earlier this month, Judge A emailed me requesting a second interview. During the second interview, he mentioned that if he offered me the job, he would expect me to accept immediately. After the interview, he said that he hoped to make a decision by the end of that week. As of today, that was 1.5 weeks ago.

Last Friday, Judge B's law clerk and assistant told me that Judge B wanted to hire me. However, until this morning, I still had not spoken directly to Judge B about the clerkship position.

Last night (Tuesday), Judge A emailed me asking me to call him Wednesday morning. I called and he offered me the position. I asked him for the day to talk with Judge B because I wasn't sure if Judge B had already decided to offer me the position. I had never interviewed with him and again, never spoken to him about the clerkship. Judge A reiterated that he usually expects a decision immediately, but since he took so long to get back to me, he would give me until the end of the day.

I called Judge B and he told me that he thought it was already clear that I was hired. He did say that it was okay if I wanted to take the job with Judge A instead. I took the job with Judge B.

When I called Judge A back, I declined the offer, and before I could finish saying thank you, he quickly said thank you and hung up. Should I be feeling as bad as I do?

ph14

Re: Did I mess up?

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:24 pm

You probably could've handled the situation a bit better (i.e., called Judge B when you got the email from Judge A knowing that Judge A expects an answer on the spot) but don't beat yourself up too badly over it — these things happen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 pm

ph14 wrote:You probably could've handled the situation a bit better (i.e., called Judge B when you got the email from Judge A knowing that Judge A expects an answer on the spot) but don't beat yourself up too badly over it — these things happen.

I guess I wasn't sure if Judge A would offer me the job. Yea, I should have called Judge B first :-/

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:You probably could've handled the situation a bit better (i.e., called Judge B when you got the email from Judge A knowing that Judge A expects an answer on the spot) but don't beat yourself up too badly over it — these things happen.

I guess I wasn't sure if Judge A would offer me the job. Yea, I should have called Judge B first :-/

It's understandable. You could've probably just told Judge B that you aren't sure but that you thought Judge A might make you an offer and expect an answer on the spot and explain to Judge B that you would prefer to clerk for him. But again, don't worry about it too much. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Everyone makes mistakes and you will make plenty more as a clerk and lawyer. And for what it's worth, the judge will have probably forgotten about the whole thing by tomorrow.
Last edited by ph14 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I called Judge A back, I declined the offer, and before I could finish saying thank you, he quickly said thank you and hung up. Should I be feeling as bad as I do?

No. Judge A took three months to make you an offer after you first interviewed him. After he finally made you an offer, you took a few hours to clarify your offer status with another judge. Seriously, you shouldn't feel bad in the slightest.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When I called Judge A back, I declined the offer, and before I could finish saying thank you, he quickly said thank you and hung up. Should I be feeling as bad as I do?

No. Judge A took three months to make you an offer after you first interviewed him. After he finally made you an offer, you took a few hours to clarify your offer status with another judge. Seriously, you shouldn't feel bad in the slightest.

He had a second interview a week and a half ago where Judge A told him that he expects answers on the spot. Not a huge mistake that's worth beating oneself up about, though. Everyone makes mistakes and it's not uncommon at all in the weird context of clerkship hiring. I've heard of much worse stories.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

He had a second interview a week and a half ago where Judge A told him that he expects answers on the spot.

Yep, and when Judge A made the offer, the OP asked if he could have time to check with Judge B. Judge A could have said "no," but he gave OP until the end of the day. OP checked with Judge B, got back to Judge A before the end of the day, and gave him an answer. Now explain to me: what on earth should the OP feel bad about?

jkech

Postby jkech » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:04 am

Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this one honestly. Judge A sounds like a real prima donna to (a) demand an acceptance on the spot for what should be a well-thought-out and reasoned decision regarding your future, and (b) act all butthurt after you tell him you accepted with Judge B. Both signs point to the very real possibility that Judge A may not be the greatest person to work for. This kind of behavior from a judge is just entitlement, insecurity, and pettiness writ large.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 am

Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this one honestly.

Don't sweat it! Be excited you got a clerkship!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:23 pm

jkech wrote:Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this one honestly. Judge A sounds like a real prima donna to (a) demand an acceptance on the spot for what should be a well-thought-out and reasoned decision regarding your future, and (b) act all butthurt after you tell him you accepted with Judge B. Both signs point to the very real possibility that Judge A may not be the greatest person to work for. This kind of behavior from a judge is just entitlement, insecurity, and pettiness writ large.

This.

and anyway, congrats!

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Don't sweat it! Be excited you got a clerkship!

This. Not going to change things now anyway, so don't worry about the decision or what other people think about it.

Julien_Benda

Postby Julien_Benda » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Judge A sounds like a Clinton appointee.

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am

Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Well done.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”