Sealing LORs

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Sealing LORs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi All-

I am a recent alum applying for clerkships in D. Ct. I currently live across the country from my law school, and had them ship me the LORs I requested from professors. For whatever reason, I did not have them send the letters to me in sealed envelopes. I also have not been sealing the letters from my non-academic recommender. The letters are all signed and contain the recommenders contact info. I was reading some more application advice and then recognized that I was not following the appropriate protocol by sending the letters unsealed- which honestly led to a mild freakout.

I have already sent about some applications that do not have sealed recommendations- not much I can do about that. How important is it to have the LORs sealed? Do you think its worth having the school send me the envelopes so that I can stuff them myself for the remaining applications?

On the one hand, I don't want to have my applications thrown out or second guessed because of this stupid error on my end (especially considering how expensive and time consuming this process is). On the other hand, I know that I am already applying late and would like to get my applications out as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice

ph14

Re: Sealing LORs

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm

In my chambers at least,* I don't think it matters at all. I wouldn't stress out about it. Have you considered using OSCAR instead? Then you can get your applications transmitted very quickly and don't have to worry about mailing in your own letters of recommendation.

-COA Clerk

*Disclaimer about the vast disparity in judges' hiring practices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 pm

ph14 wrote:In my chambers at least,* I don't think it matters at all. I wouldn't stress out about it. Have you considered using OSCAR instead? Then you can get your applications transmitted very quickly and don't have to worry about mailing in your own letters of recommendation.

-COA Clerk

OP Here: Thanks, this makes me feel better. I am also doing applications on OSCAR, which is nice for the exact reasons you mentioned.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:In my chambers at least,* I don't think it matters at all. I wouldn't stress out about it. Have you considered using OSCAR instead? Then you can get your applications transmitted very quickly and don't have to worry about mailing in your own letters of recommendation.

-COA Clerk

OP Here: Thanks, this makes me feel better. I am also doing applications on OSCAR, which is nice for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Glad you feel better and good luck!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 pm

If it was my post in another thread that freaked you out, please don't let it do that - my school just doesn't let you see the letters when they prepare them for you, so that's why I presume sealed, but ph14 is completely right that different chambers care about different things, and this shouldn't be that big a deal. Sorry to inspire any anxiety!

elipad

Postby elipad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:01 pm

-COA Clerk

Agreed. Makes no difference at all. Moreover, many schools mail out the applications themselves (i.e. the student gives them their materials and they bundle) so the recs aren't really "sealed." Sealed letters usually arrive separately, but that's because they were sent individually. As I've said in another post, I think it's better to have all your materials together anyway. I wouldn't worry about this, and I certainly would not try to redo the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 pm

OP here: Thanks for the advice you guys, I really appreciate it!

To A. Nony Mouse- No worries at all! My concern was based in part of what I read on here but also on law school clerkship process documents (including my own law school's). Thanks again for your advice, and for putting my mind at ease. With such a long and expensive process, one where nerves already a little high, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything the right way!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 pm

D. ct. clerk.

I've never heard of sealed LORs. And I have looked at at least 500+ apps to help choose clerks.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”