Paper apps- original or photocopied LOR?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Paper apps- original or photocopied LOR?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 pm

With paper applications generally, do LORs have to be originals sent straight from the source? Or would it be OK to send along photocopies of the letter?

More specifically, there's a judge I will be applying to who requests that all materials arrive in one package, if possible. If the general rule is that LORs should be originals from the source, would that hold true in this instance, that I should include sealed originals in my packet?

I'm mainly concerned because two of my letters are from practicing attorneys (one an adjunct professor, one 1L summer boss) and I don't want to be bugging them or their assistant for originals for the 30 or so paper applications I'm going to be sending out. It's not like the professor that has a designated person in the career office in charge of sending them out on his behalf.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you that have had the experience of sifting through applications while clerking.

Anonymous User

Re: Paper apps- original or photocopied LOR?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 pm

I had mine sent in separately. I've been told you're not really supposed to see your LOR, so sending it yourself might be bad news. IDK. Either way, I sent my separate and everything arrived OK.

elipad

Postby elipad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With paper applications generally, do LORs have to be originals sent straight from the source? Or would it be OK to send along photocopies of the letter?

More specifically, there's a judge I will be applying to who requests that all materials arrive in one package, if possible. If the general rule is that LORs should be originals from the source, would that hold true in this instance, that I should include sealed originals in my packet?

I'm mainly concerned because two of my letters are from practicing attorneys (one an adjunct professor, one 1L summer boss) and I don't want to be bugging them or their assistant for originals for the 30 or so paper applications I'm going to be sending out. It's not like the professor that has a designated person in the career office in charge of sending them out on his behalf.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you that have had the experience of sifting through applications while clerking.

As a current circuit clerk reviewing applications, I can say without a doubt that having everything in one packet will significantly improve your chances of getting reviewed. It's really annoying to have to collect different application materials at different times. Your three recommenders may send them at different times too, which can really delay or prevent review altogether. If, however, we receive a completed application, the clerks generally review the applicant that day (at least to the extent of deciding "maybe file" or "reject").

Ultimately, we don't care where the recs come from as long as we have them. Anything to make the process easier obviously helps. Moreover, if you're afraid of confidentiality issues, then just have generic copies sealed and put them in with the rest of your materials. Not having personalized recs makes no difference (unless, of course, there's a connection between chambers and the recommender). Personalized cover letters, however, are always a plus (to the extent done well).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 pm

elipad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:With paper applications generally, do LORs have to be originals sent straight from the source? Or would it be OK to send along photocopies of the letter?

As a current circuit clerk reviewing applications, I can say without a doubt that having everything in one packet will significantly improve your chances of getting reviewed. It's really annoying to have to collect different application materials at different times. Your three recommenders may send them at different times too, which can really delay or prevent review altogether. If, however, we receive a completed application, the clerks generally review the applicant that day (at least to the extent of deciding "maybe file" or "reject").

Ultimately, we don't care where the recs come from as long as we have them. Anything to make the process easier obviously helps. Moreover, if you're afraid of confidentiality issues, then just have generic copies sealed and put them in with the rest of your materials. Not having personalized recs makes no difference (unless, of course, there's a connection between chambers and the recommender). Personalized cover letters, however, are always a plus (to the extent done well).

OP here- Thanks for the responses. I guess I was most concerned with the appearance and how it would look including a letter that I just printed out myself on regular paper. I mean, would my application in some way be "looked down on" because of a lack of formality or something?

I've never been really concerned with confidentiality because none of my recommenders ever have been. My UG profs, law profs, and legal employers have always shown me the letters they've sent, some going as far as to send me rough drafts of the letters beforehand and asking if I wanted to make revisions, etc. I'm primarily concerned that the application will somehow look "cheap" if I just include the letters in the packet the same as all the other documents. Idk. Any further insight is much appreciated.

elipad

Postby elipad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
elipad wrote:

OP here- Thanks for the responses. I guess I was most concerned with the appearance and how it would look including a letter that I just printed out myself on regular paper. I mean, would my application in some way be "looked down on" because of a lack of formality or something?

I've never been really concerned with confidentiality because none of my recommenders ever have been. My UG profs, law profs, and legal employers have always shown me the letters they've sent, some going as far as to send me rough drafts of the letters beforehand and asking if I wanted to make revisions, etc. I'm primarily concerned that the application will somehow look "cheap" if I just include the letters in the packet the same as all the other documents. Idk. Any further insight is much appreciated.

No. Do I notice if an applicant has particularly nice cover letter paper? Yes. Do I notice if a professor's rec comes in a nicely embossed letter? Maybe. (I get distracted by shiny objects, after all.) Does it make a difference? Nope. It's all about the content--which can only be reviewed when we have all the pieces. I mean, the nicer it feels/looks is great. But not having all the superficial perks doesn't really hurt (particularly in the recs context).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Yeah, the people in the chambers that hired me actually commented on my nice resume paper, which I think was because most applications didn't use it (which is not remotely why I got hired; it was just part of conversation. The takeaway was that non-resume paper was normal).

I think the issue isn't so much the copying (it doesn't matter if the letter is xeroxed or not) as the sealing. You and your recommenders may not care about confidentiality, but lots of people out there still do, and I feel like the standard is to provide copies that have been kept private from you - all the letters I saw came as confidential sealed copies. I had my recommenders do sealed copies and I got those and put them in the packet. I think this is just the cost of sending paper applications. But I recognize that's a lot easier if you're talking faculty with assistants whose job it is to do that (though a practicing lawyer with a legal assistant would probably ask the LA to do this as well).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”