Creditworthiness of law clerks

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
p. rex

Creditworthiness of law clerks

Postby p. rex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:04 pm

I apologize if this question's been answered before or if this comes off as a frivolous question. But I will be starting a state appellate clerkship in August and wanted to know if other clerks have been able to get car loans without permanent long-term employment lined up. I doubt it matters, but I do expect to graduate with honors from a school with a certain measure of lay prestige.

theaccidentalclerk

Re: Creditworthiness of law clerks

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:11 pm

The fact that you won't have a recent income history will matter more than the term job. But once you start and earn a couple of paychecks, my guess is that it's vanishingly unlikely that a car loan underwriter will do the due diligence to see if your job is a permanent one. Might be different for a mortgage underwriter.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 pm

I was able to get a 0% APR loan for a car with significant student loan debt and without any permanent work lined up after my term clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I was able to get both a car loan and a home loan while clerking (and with hefty student debt). The banks did not even ask if it was a permanent job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm a term clerk and just got approved for a $150k mortgage where all they asked for in terms of proof of income was my last 2 pay stubs. And it's a pretty thorough and reputable mortgage company (my dad was my loan officer).

p. rex

Postby p. rex » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”