Year at firm between clerkships

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Year at firm between clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Has anyone else been in the position of having one year (or better yet 10-11 months) at a firm between clerkships? As in: I am in the middle of a year-long D.Ct. clerkship and going to a firm in the fall. I just got a circuit court clerkship for the year after that (2016). I know firms have mixed feelings about leaving for a clerkship, but I have two questions:

1. I haven't told the firm yet-- when should I do that?
2. I'm wondering what will happen-- will I still get the clerkship bonus this fall, even if I leave just before the year is up to clerk again?

Thanks!

rpupkin

Re: Year at firm between clerkships

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Your first question was discussed in another thread here last week. There were varying perspectives:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=244890

As for your second question, many big law firms tie the clerkship bonus to the condition that you work at the firm for at least one full year. If you leave before that year is complete, you have to pay back the bonus. I've also heard (but do not know for sure) that Quinn won't actually pay the bonus out until you've worked the full year. Other firms may have a similar policy.

As you've probably figured out, this is an issue you'll have to discuss with your firm. There's no generic "big law" answer here.

Anonymous User

Re: Year at firm between clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:22 am

also, who would one tell at a firm? I don't talk to any partners regularly, just recruiting/HR. would i just tell them?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”