Reaching out to alumni that are clerks/clerked?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reaching out to alumni that are clerks/clerked?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Is this a good idea or no?

rpupkin

Re: Reaching out to alumni that are clerks/clerked?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 pm

How about a little more context, OP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:45 pm

rpupkin wrote:How about a little more context, OP?

Lol fair enough. My school has a database of current and former clerks. I don't know any if these people. Would it be a good or bad idea to reach out and "ask about clerkships," etc.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:How about a little more context, OP?

Lol fair enough. My school has a database of current and former clerks. I don't know any if these people. Would it be a good or bad idea to reach out and "ask about clerkships," etc.

I'm still not understanding your situation. So are you talking about alumni who have clerked for judges to whom you have submitted applications? Have the judges invited you in for an interview? Where are you in the process?

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:00 pm

What sort of outcome would make it a 'bad idea'?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I think it's perfectly fine to reach out to alums. I've talked to people about the application process generically and the people I clerked for specifically. Not everyone may have time to talk to you, is all.

elipad

Postby elipad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this a good idea or no?

Yes. Alumni like helping out their own. We expect it. I have zero connections to most applicants who are interviewing with our chambers, and it's nice when I do (even if it's just the fact that we went to the same law school). Plus, I can ask around about them to get a better idea of who they are. This is a big reason why certain schools fare better during hiring season (i.e. connections). In fact, if an applicant from my school applies and they haven't contacted me (or a professor), their chance of scoring an interview is pretty nonexistent. With so many applications, I'm more inclined to push candidates that have taken the time to contact me and have (hopefully) followed my advice specific to chambers.

With that said, your contact should be courteous and unassuming. Some might respond and some might not. Still, it's hard to see a negative even if you don't get a response. I'd also suggest that you contact only those alumni who are working (or have worked) for a judge that you are applying to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the clerkship I secured was because I reached out to a former clerk. He called the chambers, I was the first one interviewed, and I got an offer.

It can't hurt. Just email and be polite. Worst case scenario is you get ignored, best case scenario is that it makes the difference between getting in the door or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:23 pm

My m.o. has been to cold email former clerks for each judge and ask if they have a few minutes to chat about their clerkship experience. I've probably got a 75% response rate as most former clerks seem to appreciate someone who's doing their homework, and a 90+% response rate among alums from my school. I've found it very helpful in that I've gotten a lot of info about the judge's nuances and style that I otherwise wouldn't know. More than once a former clerk has asked for my resume and forwarded it on to the judge, resulting in an interview. Point being it seems like all upside and no downside to reach out to former clerks, whether alums or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:57 pm

This is how I got my clerkship: found an alum who had clerked for judge in question, cold emailed, got info about the judge that helped during the interview, got an offer from the judge.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”