Adminstrative Duties in Three-Clerk Chambers

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Adminstrative Duties in Three-Clerk Chambers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:23 pm

I will be clerking at the district level in a chambers switching from two clerks/1 JA to three clerks. There is one permanent clerk. I'm guessing some JA-duties will fall to both of the term clerks for our respective cases, but how much administrative, or non-substantively legal, work can I reasonably expect to be doing? My (admittedly selfish) hope is the bulk of these duties will be the responsibility of the permanent clerk who has been doing all this for years, but I'll do my share. Would it be weird to ask the judge about it? Or does anyone have any general experience working in three-clerk chambers?

Thanks for any guidance.

BVest

Re: Adminstrative Duties in Three-Clerk Chambers

Postby BVest » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be clerking at the district level in a chambers switching from two clerks/1 JA to three clerks. There is one permanent clerk. I'm guessing some JA-duties will fall to both of the term clerks for our respective cases, but how much administrative, or non-substantively legal, work can I reasonably expect to be doing? My (admittedly selfish) hope is the bulk of these duties will be the responsibility of the permanent clerk who has been doing all this for years, but I'll do my share. Would it be weird to ask the judge about it? Or does anyone have any general experience working in three-clerk chambers?

Thanks for any guidance.

I would ask the perm clerk about it, but others my have other opinions. Simply ask what they foresee the division of labor going forward to be. I suspect most if not all of the admin stuff will fall to the perm clerk simply because there's a learning curve to that which is not very useful to term clerks once they leave. The only three clerk chamber I interviewed with had two perm clerks and one term (I don't think judges can do that anymore, but if they were already, they can keep doing it). There 40% of cases went to the temp clerk, 40% to one of the perms, and 20% to the other term clerk, who was also responsible for the admin stuff.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”