2L @ T6: Should I Clerk?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Should I clerk?

Apply to clerkships now
36%
Work for a couple years and reevaluate
14%
No
50%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

2L @ T6: Should I Clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

-2L at CLS/NYU with a ~3.65
-Secondary journal, no publications
-Summering at a V5
-Interested in transactional work
-Long term goal is government, in-house or something else with sane hours

Until a few weeks ago, I had decided to pass on a clerkship. But whenever I look at how many HYS grads clerk (whopping ~35% at YLS), I wonder if there's some huge career benefit that I'm missing.

So here's my question -- what would a clerkship do for my career? Will it open up exit options down the line? If not, is it worthwhile as a standalone experience? It seems like a fantastic entry-level job and people rave about their clerkships, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile.

I'm also open to working a couple years and reevaluating, if that makes more sense. And obviously this all depends on actually getting a clerkship, which is not easy.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L @ T6: Should I Clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Particularly interested in the 'transactional' side of this question

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:46 pm

For transactional lawyers, clerking will provide very little career benefit. It's not seen as much of a beneficial experience or a prestige signaling mechanism in the way that it is in litigation. Source: I worked at a V10 and was considering transactional work at the time I locked down a clerkship, and talked to several corporate associates / partners about this.

That said, it won't really hurt you, either. Your V5 will probably give you a year of class credit for your clerkship, even though the skills aren't particularly transferable; you'll have to bust your butt to catch up to your class once you get there, but a year or two in you should be indistinguishable from everyone else in your class.

So the question is: Do you want to clerk? It's pretty much universally seen as a better job than biglaw in terms of interesting work / hours (the extent to which it is may vary depending on judge). It's less lucrative than biglaw, but not that much less so if you're in a low COL area and especially less so if your school's LRAP covers clerkships. Personally, even if I were going into corporate, I would have no regrets for taking time off to clerk.

Also, if you want transactional work, I definitely wouldn't take a year off to clerk. Your firm may not even let you come back if you try to do that. You have the one shot -- immediately after you graduate. If you want a 2016 clerkship, you need to get moving ASAP.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:08 am

Nope. Don't clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:45 pm

OP here. Thanks for all your help. After thinking about it this weekend and talking it over with a few people, I decided to forego clerking. It seems like a cool experience, but doesn't really jive with my professional goals or personal life right now.

NYSprague

Postby NYSprague » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am

Shaggier1 wrote:

Nope. Don't clerk.

And don't count on a year credit for doing litigation.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”