After externing, same Judge or a different Judge?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
waterville

After externing, same Judge or a different Judge?

Postby waterville » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:48 pm

After externing for a Judge last year, now I am considering whether I should apply to his chambers for a clerkship position or apply to a different chambers. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

exitoptions

Re: After externing, same Judge or a different Judge?

Postby exitoptions » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:52 pm

waterville wrote:After externing for a Judge last year, now I am considering whether I should apply to his chambers for a clerkship position or apply to a different chambers. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Why not apply to all the chambers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:10 pm

WTF kind of question is this? Why wouldn't you?

At the court I used to clerk at, many judges hired almost exclusively prior interns that they liked. You can tell if an intern is going to suck on the first assignment you give him or her, and you can certainly tell if an intern would make a good clerk.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:14 pm

Some judges have a policy against hiring externs as clerks. If your judge has such a policy, then you obviously should not apply. Otherwise, why not?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”