Waiting after submitting applications?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Waiting after submitting applications?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:03 pm

I recently sent out my clerkship applications and I'm curious about what the waiting process is like. Do must judges let you know that they have received your application? Also, generally, how long is the turnaround if you're going to get an interview? I submitted paper applications FWIW. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Waiting after submitting applications?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm

When I was applying, I got calls as quickly as the next day and as delayed as four months later. I think it just depends on how desperate they are to fill the spot and whether chambers prefers to review applications on a rolling basis or whether they like to review them all at once. My judge fell in the latter category. He'd wait a month or so after posting on OSCAR, and then go through all of the applications in one swoop (the clerks just reviewed to screen out those that didn't meet his requirements).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I was applying, I got calls as quickly as the next day and as delayed as four months later. I think it just depends on how desperate they are to fill the spot and whether chambers prefers to review applications on a rolling basis or whether they like to review them all at once. My judge fell in the latter category. He'd wait a month or so after posting on OSCAR, and then go through all of the applications in one swoop (the clerks just reviewed to screen out those that didn't meet his requirements).

yup, it varies dramatically.

sounds like first anon applied in a past cycle - i think the answer may be there is even more variability now that there is officially no hiring plan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Is it common for judges to let you know they received your application or send rejection letters?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common for judges to let you know they received your application or send rejection letters?

as with everything clerkship related...totally depends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it common for judges to let you know they received your application or send rejection letters?

Agreed, but I suspect the answer is that it is not common. In both of my clerkships we received hundreds of application for each spot (maybe close to 1000 applications for each clerk class). Ain't nobody got time to respond to all of those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Agreed, but I suspect the answer is that it is not common. In both of my clerkships we received hundreds of application for each spot (maybe close to 1000 applications for each clerk class). Ain't nobody got time to respond to all of those.

So is getting a letter from a judge confirming that she got me application and explaining the rest of the process a good thing, in that they wouldn't have sent it to me if I was an auto-reject? I've gotten a few email confirmations, but not any snail mail letters previously. Thanks!

-anxious applicant

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

So is getting a letter from a judge confirming that she got me application and explaining the rest of the process a good thing, in that they wouldn't have sent it to me if I was an auto-reject? I've gotten a few email confirmations, but not any snail mail letters previously. Thanks!

-anxious applicant

I'm sorry to say that I think it just means the judge thinks it's polite to respond to applicants by snail mail. I don't think you can presume that they've evaluated your application in any way by this point - it might mean you've cleared some auto-reject threshold, but probably is just what gets sent to all applicants. It's good in that you haven't been rejected yet, but I don't think you can read into it.

As for how common it is to get a response... yeah, there are a ton of applicants, so it is perfectly normal and probably more common not to get any response, though some judges send them. This is true even after the judge has hired, so you have to resign yourself to possibly never hearing back.

As frustrating as it is, people need to not worry about trying to read the tea leaves. If a judge decides to interview you, they will make it very clear. Until then, send out the applications and forget about them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 pm

I can't count how many clerkships I've applied to over the past 4 years. I'd estimate around 250. In the overwhelming majority of cases, they never acknowledge receipt or say you've been rejected. I think I got maybe 5 total rejections without interviews, 3 of which were from judges of a SSC, one was from a fed judge (who apparently has the policy of writing rejection letters), one was from a judge I interned for who wrote a "sorry, but we hired someone with 10000x more experience with you, so don't feel badly."

In terms of callback times, it ranged from an hour after I submitted an application to months later.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”