Shot at Appellate Clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Shot at Appellate Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:59 pm

CCN 2L. Top 25% of class. I'm on the ed board of one of the more rigorous secondary journals and will have two strong recommendations and one lukewarm one. Will not be published in my journal. Do I have enough of a chance at an appellate court clerkship to take the time to apply, or should I just focus on district courts and state supreme courts?

I get that this process isn't formulaic, but I would like a rough sense of where I stand. Thanks in advance.

sundance95

Re: Shot at Appellate Clerkship?

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN 2L. Top 25% of class. I'm on the ed board of one of the more rigorous secondary journals and will have two strong recommendations and one lukewarm one. Will not be published in my journal. Do I have enough of a chance at an appellate court clerkship to take the time to apply, or should I just focus on district courts and state supreme courts?

I get that this process isn't formulaic, but I would like a rough sense of where I stand. Thanks in advance.

You said it. It certainly seems like your apps will be worth the cost of the paper they get printed on. If you know profs, hit them up. The challenge is always to get off the pile.

Also, not to be rude, but you are on the ed board of a secondary journal--full stop. No judge knows (or likely cares) about the granular parsing between the relative prestige of secondary journals that law students engage in. I say this because you don't want to come off defensive in a interview about this. If you are asked about it, don't talk about how prestigious it really was--talk about the work you did and how the experience would help you help the judge fulfill their duties.
Last edited by sundance95 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm

In your case, it's worth applying. You'll want to apply pretty broadly, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:55 pm

I have similar stats and got a few interviews. I Applied everywhere.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”