State AG (1yr funded fellowship) -> d.ct. clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State AG (1yr funded fellowship) -> d.ct. clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm in the process of choosing where I'll be doing my school funded fellowship after I graduate (3L at bottom half t14, somewhat below median grades). Right now I think I'm going to go to the AG's office in the state where I grew up (for personal reasons I'm geographically limited for the next year or so). The AG's office looks like a pretty good job, good atmosphere, serious work available for but honestly the pay is shit ($50k) and I'm not sure I'd want to stay there long-term, partly because I don't really want to stay in my home state long-term.

I never really thought about clerking until recently, I just kind of assumed it wasn't an option (sub-mediocre grades, no journal). But would I have a legitimate shot with a year's experience at an AG's office (I'd be doing mostly consumer protection/anti-trust)?

I'd appreciate any insight, I feel like my school's only helpful for clerkships for 1L's and 2L's.

MarkfromWI

Re: State AG (1yr funded fellowship) -> d.ct. clerkship?

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:25 am

Disclaimer: 2L going through the application process myself. It's worth a shot to send out the apps, but I wouldn't have very high expectations of getting anything. Just from looking through the OSCAR profiles, most d.ct. judges have a top 10% (most common) or top 15% "preference" for class rank. And after talking to a few d.ct. clerks, when they receive 400 applications for 1-2 spots, it gets pretty tough. Being at a T-14 and having some work experience both help you out, but I don't know if that is enough to overcome your grades. Like I said, it's worth it to send out the apps because you may get lucky, but just temper your expectations.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”