SSC Clerk Taking Question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:31 pm

ssc clerk on eastcoast, about half way through the term thought I'd answer any questions about hiring for clerkships/what its like/post-clerkship jobs.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 pm

How hard is it for a person from a regional school with great grades to get ssc in another state? For example, top five in the class (order of the coif, manga cum laude) at washington and lee to get ssc clerkship in your state?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:How hard is it for a person from a regional school with great grades to get ssc in another state? For example, top five in the class (order of the coif, manga cum laude) at washington and lee to get ssc clerkship in your state?



For my judge and from knowing the other clerks for other judges on my court, itd be the same odds as any instate person getting a job there. In other words, my judge doesn't seem to care so much about whether youre in or out of state/what school you went to. Most people are from schools nearby, but not all. The worst thing about clerkship hiring is that we get a lot of great resumes but the judge probably only actually looks at <5% of them and the other 95% just sit there on the shelf. IMO if you can get someone to call on your behalf, do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:How hard is it for a person from a regional school with great grades to get ssc in another state? For example, top five in the class (order of the coif, manga cum laude) at washington and lee to get ssc clerkship in your state?



For my judge and from knowing the other clerks for other judges on my court, itd be the same odds as any instate person getting a job there. In other words, my judge doesn't seem to care so much about whether youre in or out of state/what school you went to. Most people are from schools nearby, but not all. The worst thing about clerkship hiring is that we get a lot of great resumes but the judge probably only actually looks at <5% of them and the other 95% just sit there on the shelf. IMO if you can get someone to call on your behalf, do it.


Other than calls on your behalf, what can an applicant do to increase their chances of getting the app materials in front of the justice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Other than calls on your behalf, what can an applicant do to increase their chances of getting the app materials in front of the justice?


OP here

Short answer: nothing really; there are unfortunately many applicants who have similar stats (top 10%, LR, etc), so peoples resumes don't really stand out from one another. But, I would call chambers to ask whether they are interviewing, not merely accepting resumes, for the term you are interested in--for instances, my judge hasn't looked at resumes from my start date till now. So all those resumes that people sent in between then and now will never be considered no matter how good the candidates are--they've just been lost in the pile. Im not sure whether chambers will actually tell you "oh yeh they are actively considering candidates at the moment," but I certainly do when someone calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Not OP: A friend of mine who hadn't thought she was a candidate for clerkships ended up being asked to apply by the Tx Sup Ct judge she interned for during half of 2L summer and she got the offer. Not saying that's common, but I'm sure that interning at the SSC during 1L or 2L summer will at least get your app some attention at the court.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:How hard is it for a person from a regional school with great grades to get ssc in another state? For example, top five in the class (order of the coif, manga cum laude) at washington and lee to get ssc clerkship in your state?



For my judge and from knowing the other clerks for other judges on my court, itd be the same odds as any instate person getting a job there. In other words, my judge doesn't seem to care so much about whether youre in or out of state/what school you went to. Most people are from schools nearby, but not all. The worst thing about clerkship hiring is that we get a lot of great resumes but the judge probably only actually looks at <5% of them and the other 95% just sit there on the shelf. IMO if you can get someone to call on your behalf, do it.


Ok so I'm assuming this is the profile of the type of person your judge would hire, correct? Obviously this person likely loses to T14 top 10% but I'm assuming those candidates are not common.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:The type of person your judge would hire, correct? Obviously this person likely loses to T14 top 10% but I'm assuming those candidates are not common.


Yeh, at least for my court you'd have just as good a chance.

As for the t14 kids, my judge gets applications from them but they don't necessarily beat out the non-t14ers. Clerkship hiring is very, very odd for ssc's IMO, we get a resume from a top 10% kid from Georgetown but we will interview a top 10% from a TTT because someone called and said we should interview them. Its a little frustrating to see but thats just how it goes unfortunately.

Also, the above poster is correct--internships do seem to help.

lawstudentap23
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: SSC Clerk Taking Question

Postby lawstudentap23 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:ssc clerk on eastcoast, about half way through the term thought I'd answer any questions about hiring for clerkships/what its like/post-clerkship jobs.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering what the post-clerkship job market has looked like for you? Have firms solicited SSC clerks? Is there a good shot at state/fed gvt jobs? What will you be doing post-clerkship?




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.