Clerkship bonuses -- going up?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

jd20132013

Re: Clerkship bonuses -- going up?

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:33 am

Twiqbal wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2016/01/clerkship-bonus-watch-will-75k-become-the-new-standard/

1. Will this make it more expected that candidates will negotiate?
2. What effect will this have on bonuses for two clerkships?
3. Do we know what Quinn is paying for two clerkships?

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

jd20132013 wrote:
Twiqbal wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2016/01/clerkship-bonus-watch-will-75k-become-the-new-standard/

I know someone who got $100k for two back in like 2013.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:33 am

the QE clerkship bonus increase probably won't move the market. Everyone knows they did it because they cancelled their summer program and that's their pitch to attract new associates in the absence of the normal SA channel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:20 am

I'll push back on that: The competitive effect of Quinn bidding up the price of clerks does not depend on why Quinn entered the bid. That effect depends on clerks' and firms' response to the bid. Every CoA clerk that I know is talking to multiple firms right now. Some return to SA firms, some don't.

I see pressure on at least two groups of firms to match:

1. Profitable, culturally similar litigation shops that traditionally beat market: Irell, Boies, Kirkland.

2. SoCal firms that compete with Quinn for clerks returning home.

--2/9/DC clerk.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll push back on that: The competitive effect of Quinn bidding up the price of clerks does not depend on why Quinn entered the bid. That effect depends on clerks' and firms' response to the bid. Every CoA clerk that I know is talking to multiple firms right now. Some return to SA firms, some don't.

1. Profitable, culturally similar litigation shops that traditionally beat market: Irell, Boies, Kirkland.

--2/9/DC clerk.

Hope you're right! I'd love the extra cash.

NUDad

Postby NUDad » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:51 pm

onionz wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

A friend of our family got $100K for two this past year - 1 yr District Court, 1 yr 2/9/DC.
Last edited by NUDad on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll push back on that: The competitive effect of Quinn bidding up the price of clerks does not depend on why Quinn entered the bid. That effect depends on clerks' and firms' response to the bid. Every CoA clerk that I know is talking to multiple firms right now. Some return to SA firms, some don't.

--2/9/DC clerk.

Well if a "2/9/DC clerk" says it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:47 am

NUDad wrote:
onionz wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

A friend of our family got $100K for two this past year - 1 yr District Court, 1 yr 2nd Circuit.

i don't expect you to give the firm name of course, but can you tell us if this was a boutique-esque firm who basically set their own bonuses or a more conventional biglaw firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 am

NUDad

Postby NUDad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NUDad wrote:
onionz wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

A friend of our family got $100K for two this past year - 1 yr District Court, 1 yr 2/9/DC.

i don't expect you to give the firm name of course, but can you tell us if this was a boutique-esque firm who basically set their own bonuses or a more conventional biglaw firm?

Yes, the former, not a conventional biglaw firm.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

--2/9/DC clerk.

The big elephant in this prestigious 2-9-DC room is whether this clerk would go to Quinn over irell boies Kirkland or thier SAnfirm for an extra 15k.

Latham (and plenty of other TTT firms) pays a 15k stipend instead of salary advance. There isn't a huge stampede.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

--2/9/DC clerk.

The big elephant in this prestigious 2-9-DC room is whether this clerk would go to Quinn over irell boies Kirkland or thier SAnfirm for an extra 15k.

Latham (and plenty of other TTT firms) pays a 15k stipend instead of salary advance. There isn't a huge stampede.

DF idk whether to take your advice seriously if you're not going to list your clerkship tier

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”