How to improve my chances for CDCA

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to improve my chances for CDCA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:48 am

I'm a 2L at UVA w/ a 3.50, and SoCal v20 SA for the summer.
Softs:

1. I externed last summer for a Cal. COA judge
2. Grew up in SoCal
3. Will graduate with a joint JD/M.A. (in a foreign country)

My Question:

In so far as grades, it will be difficult to improve as this is my last semester at UVA (spending my 3L getting my M.A.). However, I intend to work as a litigator for a few years. In addition, I'm in the process of writing a soft- IP-related note (however, I don't have an IP background. Given that I'm on the low-end of competitiveness, what, if anything can I do.
lastly, I'm amenable to doing a D.Ct. anywhere, but would prefer CDCA for family reasons.

Anonymous User

Re: How to improve my chances for CDCA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:20 am

D. ct. clerk in CA.

What are your references like? My judge only hires people with a few years of experience, and really relies on references/LORs. I would do whatever you can while in practice to get a solid reference.

sundance95

Re: How to improve my chances for CDCA

Postby sundance95 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:11 pm

CDCA is really, really competitive, and UVA profs don't have the pull with West Coast judges that they do in the Fourth Circuit. No harm in applying, but be realistic about your chances.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”