writing exams?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

writing exams?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:20 pm

I was recently asked to sit for a lengthy writing exam as the first stage in the interview process for a COA clerkship. I'm guessing this is fairly unusual (no one at my school, including the CSO and professors, knows of anyone who has been asked to do anything similar). I'm not particularly worried about sitting for a writing exam, just a little curious about what I could be asked to do. So I'm wondering whether anyone else has been asked to sit for an exam like this and, if so, what you were asked to do. :)

hiima3L

Re: writing exams?

Postby hiima3L » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 pm

I did a writing exam for a state appellate court. We were given a packet with about 10-15 cases and a pretty sizable record. We had to draft an opinion for a case that the court had ruled on a few months prior. We had computers where only Word worked so we couldn't do any research.

At the interview, I got grilled by a few judges on my draft. I didn't get the job.

Anonymous User

Re: writing exams?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 pm

That sounds like it wasn't a whole lot of fun. Bummer it didn't work out, but thanks for the info.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”