Extra references Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Extra references

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:37 pm

I have a COA clerkship interview next week. The judge has close ties to my school. I'm wondering whether it might help if I ask a few profs to e-mail the judge in advance of the interview (basically, profs who didn't write my LORs) on my behalf? Does that seem like overkill? I don't want to annoy the judge, but I think it might help my cause if it's clear that I have lots of faculty support?

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Advice?

BVest

Platinum

Re: Extra references

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:47 pm

As has been said about post-interview calls, you've got the interview, and that's what those contacts are meant to help with. I wouldn't waste their time with that.

If you have profs or others (former employers) who are willing to serve as references, it certainly wouldn't hurt to provide a list of references (along with an updated copy of your resume) when you go in to interview if you didn't provide such a list before. But this depends on the judge's timeline. I interviewed with a judge who did all his interviews in one day and made the offer by the end of the day; in that case handing him something new at the interview certainly would have made no sense.

My list (which actually went in with my app) included both my recommenders (so the judge would know if/when he'd received all of my LORs) and my references. e.g.

RECOMMENDERS

[prof]

[prof]

[employer]

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES

[prof]

[employer]

[pre-law-school employer]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Re: Extra references

Post by jess » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”