D.Ct. Clerkship Advice

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

D.Ct. Clerkship Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Year: 2L
School rank: T50-60
Grades: top 10%
Journal: Law Review
LORs: 1 prof who really likes me and willing to make phone calls, 1 prof who writes good letters, and district judge that I interned for the summer after my 1L year.
Law review ed. board: pending

I know I don't qualify for the more prestigious district courts (e.g., SDNY, etc.) but am looking for any kind of advice for what district courts I realistically have a shot at.

Thanks!

BVest

Re: D.Ct. Clerkship Advice

Postby BVest » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:06 pm

You're definitely competitive. I would focus heavily on your school's region as well as whatever area you come from/have strongest ties to (assuming it's not a hyper-competitive district). Beyond that, apply to pretty much any other districts that are hiring and that you have time to apply to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:49 am

In that vein, how prestigious are D. Conn, D. Mass, or D.N.H. as compared to EDPA, DNJ, or D. Md.?

Quichelorraine

Postby Quichelorraine » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Are you asking about prestige or "what do I have a shot at in light of prestige considerations?"

If the former: cart before the horse. Get some interviews and offers and then worry about whether some theoretical future snob will pooh-pooh your clerkship because it isn't in one of the sainted districts.

With regard to the latter: it's been my experience that anything within the Second Circuit gets a certain prestige-bar bump, except for (curiously) WDNY and NDNY. D. Conn. gets a lot of Yale/Harvard folks by dint of its location, as well as people who didn't quite get into SDNY. D. Mass has a similar problem despite being in CA1. None of those is a cakewalk.

Anecdotally, EDPA and DNJ are somewhat less snobbish. There are a ton of district judges in EDPA, too. DNJ, while surprisingly without airs given its proximity to NYC, can be hard to break into unless you have some connection to the area.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:37 pm

d. mass is in a different category from those other two you seem to put in its category, IMO...particularly DNH

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”