Question about doing COA then Dist Ct

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Longtimecoming19

Question about doing COA then Dist Ct

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 pm

I just accepted a COA offer for the 2016-2017 term. I would like to do a Dist Ct clerkship for the 2017-2018 term. My question is - will having locked in a COA clerkship be helpful as I look for a Dist Ct clerkship? In the experience of others who have either been in a similar situation, or who have clerked/are clerking for a Dist Ct judge, is this something that you think would be advantageous? Would it hurt my application in any way? I'd be grateful for any advice/insight you have.

Anonymous User

Re: Question about doing COA then Dist Ct

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:48 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:I just accepted a COA offer for the 2016-2017 term. I would like to do a Dist Ct clerkship for the 2017-2018 term. My question is - will having locked in a COA clerkship be helpful as I look for a Dist Ct clerkship? In the experience of others who have either been in a similar situation, or who have clerked/are clerking for a Dist Ct judge, is this something that you think would be advantageous? Would it hurt my application in any way? I'd be grateful for any advice/insight you have.

Right now I'm doing a D.Ct clerkship after done CoA last year. It is a great experience. There's surprisingly little crossover between the two, but I think having been in an appellate chambers for a year makes me more confident in what I'm doing this year. I imagine that clerking on the D.Ct straight out of law school could be really nerve wracking, whereas the CoA is so mellow and an easy transition from law school.

For sure my CoA clerkship was a huge asset. I'm clerking now in the same circuit as my CoA clerkship, and my CoA judge basically got me my current gig without me having to do anything to apply.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”