lower grades 3rd semester

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

lower grades 3rd semester

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm

How bad does this look on a clerkship app? E.g. going from all As to all B+s 3rd semester.

Emma.

Re: lower grades 3rd semester

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad does this look on a clerkship app? E.g. going from all As to all B+s 3rd semester.

Not great. But I'm sure you knew that. It's probably somewhat worse than having those B grades distributed across three semesters. How much worse is going to depend on the chambers, but if it were me reviewing you app I'd be worried that (1) you just took your foot off the gas after 1L, and (2) it could be the start of a bad trend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Not OP. Similar situation, but 3rd semester was two A's and a B+ in evidence. Overall GPA puts me in range for COA's, but 3rd semester definitely looks bad comparatively. How likely is it that I can explain 3rd semester as just screwing up that one exam? I don't have a good reason for the B+ other than "shit happens."

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP. Similar situation, but 3rd semester was two A's and a B+ in evidence. Overall GPA puts me in range for COA's, but 3rd semester definitely looks bad comparatively. How likely is it that I can explain 3rd semester as just screwing up that one exam? I don't have a good reason for the B+ other than "shit happens."

This is completely different. One B+ among an otherwise all-A transcript doesn't suggest a downward trend. Sure, it makes you somewhat less competitive than straight As would, but only to the extent you have a lower overall GPA/class rank. Yes, there might be a select few judges for whom you'd need straight As (I obviously have no idea about which school you attend), and for those judges you're now out of the running. But for most it is going to be a question of the overall impression of your transcript. You almost certainly won't get asked to explain one grade. Either your transcript and other materials will be strong enough to land you the interview or it won't be. But if it is, I doubt you are going to get grilled about your one B.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 am

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP. Similar situation, but 3rd semester was two A's and a B+ in evidence. Overall GPA puts me in range for COA's, but 3rd semester definitely looks bad comparatively. How likely is it that I can explain 3rd semester as just screwing up that one exam? I don't have a good reason for the B+ other than "shit happens."

This is completely different. One B+ among an otherwise all-A transcript doesn't suggest a downward trend. Sure, it makes you somewhat less competitive than straight As would, but only to the extent you have a lower overall GPA/class rank. Yes, there might be a select few judges for whom you'd need straight As (I obviously have no idea about which school you attend), and for those judges you're now out of the running. But for most it is going to be a question of the overall impression of your transcript. You almost certainly won't get asked to explain one grade. Either your transcript and other materials will be strong enough to land you the interview or it won't be. But if it is, I doubt you are going to get grilled about your one B.

I landed a coveted COA clerkship last year after receiving one not-so-great grade. The judge (graciously) saw it as an outlier.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”