Bar Exam/Course Fee Reimbursement

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bruinfan10

Bar Exam/Course Fee Reimbursement

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:34 pm

I accepted a clerkship that required me to turn down my 2L summer job offer at a big firm, so I had to pay for Barbri and the state bar registration, exam, and licensing fees myself.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a firm reimbursing those fees after your clerkship ended and you accepted an offer with them? I imagine some firms would consider your clerkship bonus sufficient to cover those expenses, but I know a number of people whose clerkships allowed them to retain their job offers and who had all their fees paid as a result.

Any thoughts/anecdotes appreciated.

rpupkin

Re: Bar Exam/Course Fee Reimbursement

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:I accepted a clerkship that required me to turn down my 2L summer job offer at a big firm, so I had to pay for Barbri and the state bar registration, exam, and licensing fees myself.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a firm reimbursing those fees after your clerkship ended and you accepted an offer with them? I imagine some firms would consider your clerkship bonus sufficient to cover those expenses, but I know a number of people whose clerkships allowed them to retain their job offers and who had all their fees paid as a result.

Any thoughts/anecdotes appreciated.

I think it's pretty standard for your post-clerkship firm (whether it is your summer firm or a new firm altogether) to reimburse you for your bar prep and registration expenses.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”