How rigorous is clerkship "background check"? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How rigorous is clerkship "background check"?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Accepted a district court clerkship, and the acceptance letter said that about 6 months before my start date I would start the background check process. My question is specifically about drugs. Are clerkship background checks like other government jobs where they ask if you've taken any illegal drugs within the past X years?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: How rigorous is clerkship "background check"?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:14 pm

No, they don't ask about drugs. It's just like an average job application - in the past 10 years have you been convicted of a crime, court-martialed, or fired, are you currently pending charges, and are you delinquent on a federal debt. Not rigorous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:No, they don't ask about drugs. It's just like an average job application - in the past 10 years have you been convicted of a crime, court-martialed, or fired, are you currently pending charges, and are you delinquent on a federal debt. Not rigorous.
This. Atleast in my district.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:40 am

I've never heard of any judge ask about drug use, much less tested for it. I think there are TLS rumors that some COAs will do more thorough background checks that include drug use if they have sensitive pending cases. I think I remember reading that the DC Cir did really thorough checks when they had pending terrorism and Gitmo cases...or something.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 am

whatcha smoking braj

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 pm

Alright, thanks all. It's D.D.C., if that matters at all, though not a FISC judge.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Would clerkships or federal jobs ask/investigate about college disciplinary matters? In addition, do they ask if you've taken any illegal drugs within the past X years? I'm interested in EOIR.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:39 pm

I think EOIR is the "national trust" (or whatever it's called) background check, which does ask for drug use in the last 7 years. I don't think it asks about educational discipline, just employment-related.

Clerkships just do an employment application asking standard employment stuff, not a background check. EOIR and other DOJ gigs do an actual background check.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think EOIR is the "national trust" (or whatever it's called) background check, which does ask for drug use in the last 7 years. I don't think it asks about educational discipline, just employment-related.

Clerkships just do an employment application asking standard employment stuff, not a background check. EOIR and other DOJ gigs do an actual background check.

Will MJ use in the past 7 years be a bar for EOIR?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I doubt it, unless it was extensive and recently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”