best LORs for clerkships ?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

best LORs for clerkships ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:51 pm

I'm turning to TLS because my career services office is swamped with appointments and I need to compile these sooner rather than later.

I'm a native NJ student and want to clerk there. In terms of LORs, I worked for a few attorneys in NJ and I'm wondering if in addition to professors an LOR from these attorneys would be an advantage to my application for those judges they know/have ties with/etc. Or do judges prefer letters from professors only? Or does it depend on the judge?

BVest

Re: best LORs for clerkships ?

Postby BVest » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm turning to TLS because my career services office is swamped with appointments and I need to compile these sooner rather than later.

I'm a native NJ student and want to clerk there. In terms of LORs, I worked for a few attorneys in NJ and I'm wondering if in addition to professors an LOR from these attorneys would be an advantage to my application for those judges they know/have ties with/etc. Or do judges prefer letters from professors only? Or does it depend on the judge?

You absolutely want a LOR from an attorney under whom you've worked so that they can discuss both the quality of your work and your workplace performance (being a pleasant coworker, showing up, being willing to speak up but also recognizing your own limitations, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: best LORs for clerkships ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

I've clerked and participating in the hiring process for both a federal district court judge and a federal court of appeals judge. I used three letters of recommendation--two from professors and one from a partner at my summer firm. I did almost all my work one summer for that partner, so he was able to write a fantastic, detailed letter on my behalf. If you can find a professional reference like that, you absolutely should do so. In my experience, practical letters like that are important in the hiring process, especially at the district-court level.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”