NJ State Clerkships

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

NJ State Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Can anyone speak to the competitiveness? Specifically in terms of GPA and whether being a native NJ resident plays in your favor at all?

Anonymous User

Re: NJ State Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to the competitiveness? Specifically in terms of GPA and whether being a native NJ resident plays in your favor at all?

A lot depends on school.

JerryLundegard

Postby JerryLundegard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to the competitiveness? Specifically in terms of GPA and whether being a native NJ resident plays in your favor at all?

A lot depends on school.

Could you elaborate?

latty

Postby latty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:16 pm

What level are you inquiring about? NJ resident most definitely helps. As do connections to judges.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:35 pm

JerryLundegard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A lot depends on school.

Could you elaborate?

Well, with clerkships generally, what GPA you need to be competitive depends on what school you attend - judges usually will go deeper in the class for more highly-ranked schools. (And it's really class rank rather than GPA.) My impression is that being a local helps and I think there are a lot of Rutgers/Seton Hall grads in these clerkships, but that's just an impression.

latty

Postby latty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm

A huge percentage of the clerks are from Jersey schools. I would estimate above 50%. There are many judges who attended the local schools, and will only interview from those schools. Basically, at the local schools you can realistically get a clerkship if you are about top 50%, and you still have a shot at one below that. If you are from an out of state school, you would need to be either from a highly ranked school, or highly ranked wherever you are to have a realistic shot.
Something to bear in mind in regard to the trial level clerkships, it seems that civil > criminal> family, in terms of competitiveness.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm

latty wrote:A huge percentage of the clerks are from Jersey schools. I would estimate above 50%. There are many judges who attended the local schools, and will only interview from those schools. Basically, at the local schools you can realistically get a clerkship if you are about top 50%, and you still have a shot at one below that. If you are from an out of state school, you would need to be either from a highly ranked school, or highly ranked wherever you are to have a realistic shot.
Something to bear in mind in regard to the trial level clerkships, it seems that civil > criminal> family, in terms of competitiveness.

I'm fairly sure this is correct. My friend went to Rutgers and she said she could name over a dozen classmates doing NJ trial court clerkships. A co-worker, who went to Seton Hall, also clerked at one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Interesting. I have strong ties to NJ and I've worked for a few attorneys there (who I plan on reaching out to) but I'm at Cardozo so I'm wondering if by out of state even NYC is one strike against you.

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 am

I'm a Fordham student living in NJ, looking for an NJ judge to intern for so my commute isn't ridiculous during the summer. Any suggestions on where to look online for judges with openings?

Also, for 1L summer, does it matter what type of judge you intern for? Obviously the higher courts would be ideal, but the deadline is too far gone by now (I've been taking the "wait until after finals" thing a little too seriously). Are trial level state or municipal judges a good option or should I just look for a small firm instead?

I've been talking to a Career Planner at school who has basically been giving me the ever unhelpful advice of "just find something having to do with law and you'll be fine"...

nick417

Postby nick417 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:52 pm

miller7353 wrote:I'm a Fordham student living in NJ, looking for an NJ judge to intern for so my commute isn't ridiculous during the summer. Any suggestions on where to look online for judges with openings?

Also, for 1L summer, does it matter what type of judge you intern for? Obviously the higher courts would be ideal, but the deadline is too far gone by now (I've been taking the "wait until after finals" thing a little too seriously). Are trial level state or municipal judges a good option or should I just look for a small firm instead?

I've been talking to a Career Planner at school who has basically been giving me the ever unhelpful advice of "just find something having to do with law and you'll be fine"...

I am Rutgers-Camden, so I know what the SJ judges have been doing. Down here, they accept applications well into March. Some even have openings as late as May. My friend last year didn't start applying to NJ state judges until mid-February and landed an appellate level clerkship. Again, I don't know what the Judges are doing in North Jersey, but in SJ, your applications would not be late.

Manali

Postby Manali » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:50 pm

I am interested in state trial court (family, juvenile, criminal, etc.) clerkship in NJ, specifically south Jersey. What kind of rank do you need if you come from a Philly TT? Is journal a must?

toiletgecko

Postby toiletgecko » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm currently a clerk in NJ. For trial clerks, a top 50% ranking should do the trick, even without journal. It does depend on the court, though; equity clerkships are more competitive than others, and civil clerkships seem to be pretty competitive as well. If you're in Philly, there should be some resources at your law school's OCS on NJ Clerkships. My one piece of advice would be to mail applications directly to the judge instead of using the online email system; most judges don't look at it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:50 am

Posted elsewhere before I saw this thread -

Can anyone speak to the exit options from a trial court clerkship?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”