class rank on resume

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
phillyboy101

class rank on resume

Postby phillyboy101 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Sorry if this is somewhat of a bad question, but I've just been curious for anyone who has gone through clerkship resume submissions. My school does class ranks essentially in blocks of 5 (top 5%, 10%, 15% etc.). If I'm right outside one of these blocks (such as top 11%) should I round down and write top 15%? Alternatively, I've seen some resumes put something like: GPA = 3.xx; top 5% = 3.xy to indicate that you're closer to the top block than the lower. Or would it be best to leave off class rank entirely? TYIA!

minnbills

Re: class rank on resume

Postby minnbills » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:Sorry if this is somewhat of a bad question, but I've just been curious for anyone who has gone through clerkship resume submissions. My school does class ranks essentially in blocks of 5 (top 5%, 10%, 15% etc.). If I'm right outside one of these blocks (such as top 11%) should I round down and write top 15%? Alternatively, I've seen some resumes put something like: GPA = 3.xx; top 5% = 3.xy to indicate that you're closer to the top block than the lower. Or would it be best to leave off class rank entirely? TYIA!

Put top 11%. As long as you know you're there (you could just put top 12% to be safe) then that's fine.

You should present yourself in the best light possible without lying.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:08 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:Sorry if this is somewhat of a bad question, but I've just been curious for anyone who has gone through clerkship resume submissions. My school does class ranks essentially in blocks of 5 (top 5%, 10%, 15% etc.). If I'm right outside one of these blocks (such as top 11%) should I round down and write top 15%? Alternatively, I've seen some resumes put something like: GPA = 3.xx; top 5% = 3.xy to indicate that you're closer to the top block than the lower. Or would it be best to leave off class rank entirely? TYIA!

It's unlikely to matter one way or the other, but I don't think it would hurt to put down: "GPA = 3.xx; top 10% = 3.xy." Whether you do that or put down "top 15%," you're still going to fall into the category of "almost top 10% but not quite." I wouldn't lose much sleep over this.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm

minnbills wrote:

Put top 11%. As long as you know you're there (you could just put top 12% to be safe) then that's fine.

You should present yourself in the best light possible without lying.

Maybe. But there's some risk in doing something like this if your school ranks its students in blocks of five. At my law school, putting down a granular class rank (e.g., "top 12%") was considered a violation of the honor code. Judges might not know this, but a current clerk who graduated from my law school certainly would.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:14 pm

If your school doesn't officially tell you you're ranked at 11%, you shouldn't put that you're 11%. I agree that the way to go is to put GPA = 3.xx; top 10% = 3.xy.

phillyboy101

Postby phillyboy101 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 pm

^ this is pretty much it. The top 11% would be my estimation and not an actual school ranking, so I'd be hesitant to write that. I was leaning towards the above to clarify that I was just outside the top 10% block, but I was just concerned if that was a resume faux pas that I didn't know about. Thanks for the help as usual TLS.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:03 am

minnbills wrote:Put top 11%. As long as you know you're there (you could just put top 12% to be safe) then that's fine.

Don't do that ^.

Do this:
3.72 (Top 10% at 3.74; Top 15% at 3.67)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Whatever you do (and I agree with 'Mouse about what your approach should be) don't exaggerate your GPA. We've had apps where people say something like: Rank 3/200, Top 1%. I get the desire to round up, but if you are third in a class of 200 then you simply aren't in the top 1% of the class.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If your school doesn't officially tell you you're ranked at 11%, you shouldn't put that you're 11%. I agree that the way to go is to put GPA = 3.xx; top 10% = 3.xy.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 am

i would do

3.72 (top 10% at 3.74 #soclose)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”