What counts as a "flyover" COA location? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What counts as a "flyover" COA location?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm

A lot of advice on this forum about COA clerkships depends on whether you characterize certain locations as "Flyover" or not. What's the general understanding when people use that term?

I'm assuming Chicago isn't a flyover COA location, and a town like Des Moines is. What about cities like Baltimore, Charlotte, Tampa, Austin / Houston? Do they count as "flyover" locations? I know judges matter above all else, but for those of us who are competitive for COA but not super-prestigious judges or feeders, any clarification might be helpful.
Thanks!

ymmv

Diamond

Re: What counts as a "flyover" COA location?

Post by ymmv » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Does your school keep data on past clerkship applicants? That's probably your best bet for getting a feel for the relative competitiveness of each judge and region.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 am

I suggest finding an alumnus of your school who clerked for a judge, preferably a non-flyover judge. Ask the former clerk if he/she will let you see the federal judge prestige rankings. The rankings--which are based on surveys submitted by current clerks, former clerks, and federal judges--are compiled annually by the clerks of a particular D.C. Circuit judge. The rankings are supposed to be kept secret, but two alumni from my school let me see them when I applied.

If the judge you're interested in has a score below 60, then that judge can fairly be characterized as a "flyover" COA judge. But to be absolutely sure you aren't stuck clerking for a flyover judge, I suggest clerking only for judges with prestige scores of 75 or higher.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote: a town like Des Moines is.
Not according to Judge Colloton. Des Moines is "ranked #1 by Forbes in 2011 among 'America's Best Cities for Young Professionals.'"

So, yeah.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 am

A judge is either a feeder for supreme court clerkships or a non-feeder. If you aren't super competitive, apply to everyone but the feeders.

Even in "flyover" country, there are feeder judges, so I think the term is a bit misleading at the circuit court level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:23 am

"Flyover" is not a great metric for what constitutes a competitive district. It is true that, on average, clerkships in big cities with big legal markets (mostly referring to NY, DC, LA, SF, Chicago) are more competitive than clerkships in less populated areas. This effect is greater for district clerkships than COA clerkships. That's not to say, though, that there aren't plenty of very selective judges who live in flyover country, or that only kids on Harvard Law Review can land a clerkship in SDNY.

If your credentials are on the margin, you might hit more judges willing to consider your credentials if you target judges in metro areas with low populations; there's probably at least some degree of correlation between city size and selectivity. However, it won't guaranty you a clerkship, and you might overlook a judge in a bigger city who likes your resume and would be willing to hire you.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 am

rpupkin wrote:I suggest finding an alumnus of your school who clerked for a judge, preferably a non-flyover judge. Ask the former clerk if he/she will let you see the federal judge prestige rankings. The rankings--which are based on surveys submitted by current clerks, former clerks, and federal judges--are compiled annually by the clerks of a particular D.C. Circuit judge. The rankings are supposed to be kept secret, but two alumni from my school let me see them when I applied.

If the judge you're interested in has a score below 60, then that judge can fairly be characterized as a "flyover" COA judge. But to be absolutely sure you aren't stuck clerking for a flyover judge, I suggest clerking only for judges with prestige scores of 75 or higher.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:50 am

Generally Flyover means Non NY/DC/Chi/Bos/LA/SF - basically big city or bust.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:51 am

just ask the judge

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:34 pm

just ask the judge

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

fats provolone wrote:just ask the judge

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”