Why I want to work for X Judge

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Why I want to work for X Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:21 pm

My shitty law school career services rep says my cover letter should indicate why I want to work for a particular judge. I'm basically applying for district court clerkships around the country. For most of these, I can't even say I have family ties to the area. So there's really nothing to say.

Should I just take a minimalist approach and leave out the "why I want to work for you" part? Or do I really have to come up with some BS?

seizmaar

Re: Why I want to work for X Judge

Postby seizmaar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 pm

if you have any markets you do have legitimate ties to, i think it's worth the time on your cover letter to bring that to the judge/clerk's attention. we definitely fast tracked some apps with those details that might otherwise have been in a bigger pile of maybes.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:28 pm

If you have a legit reason (or even something that can be massaged to look semi-legit) definitely highlight it. But you may not, in which case just don't bother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:29 pm

seizmaar wrote:if you have any markets you do have legitimate ties to, i think it's worth the time on your cover letter to bring that to the judge/clerk's attention. we definitely fast tracked some apps with those details that might otherwise have been in a bigger pile of maybes.

Legitimate ties = family ties? I can't think of anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you have a legit reason (or even something that can be massaged to look semi-legit) definitely highlight it. But you may not, in which case just don't bother.

But the only conceivable legit reason is family ties, right? Or something else putting me in the location?

ETA: Nvm. Answered in another thread.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”