Newer-judge COA in target region vs. established COA judge

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which one?

Newer, less famous COA judge in target region / circuit
78%
More established, well-known COA judge in non-target region / circuit
22%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

Newer-judge COA in target region vs. established COA judge

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 pm

I realize that I shouldn't even be asking this, given how lucky I am to even have these opportunities, and that I should really shut up and stop talking. Regardless, my clerkship process seems to be coming down to a couple of choices (none of these judges are "feeders"):

1) a more recently-appointed, less well-known COA judge, but one who works in the circuit / region that I see myself practicing in long-term
2) an older, more established judge (non 2/9/DC, but still important city and circuit) who is well-known, but practices in a region / circuit in which I have no interest in practicing long-term.

If you had your pick, which would you choose? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

forza

Re: Newer-judge COA in target region vs. established COA judge

Postby forza » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Assuming both judges are nice people, I'd take #1, especially if you have any interest in working for the USAO in your preferred market. You'll get a bump from clerking on that circuit and may have networking opportunities with people in that office. Plus, a newer judge will ostensibly be around longer to vouch for you and being among that judge's first cadre of clerks could ingratiate you forever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Plus, a newer judge will ostensibly be around longer to vouch for you and being among that judge's first cadre of clerks could ingratiate you forever.

I took a clerkship with a new district judge on this reasoning and I am glad I did.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm

After feeder/non-feeder, target market is most important factor.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”