Bombed evidence

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bombed evidence

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 pm

current 2L at MVP

1L grades put me in the top 20%

because of a family emergency literally in the middle of finals week, i bombed evidence

B- =(

I want to clerk and i want to litigate, but my current plans are to send out apps in 2016, for clerkships beginning in 2018 or later. i want some law firm experience before i clerk.

am i screwed now?

Anonymous User

Re: Bombed evidence

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 am

The answer, as with all clerkship hiring, is that it depends on the judge (and the clerks) looking at your application. In my judge's chambers, clerks look at the GPA but not the actual transcript - so you could easily get past our first round, if your other credentials were good. The judge looks at the transcript, and frankly I have no idea what he is specifically looking for. Other judges have their clerks weed out people who didn't take/didn't do well in certain classes (CivPro, CrimPro, Evidence, Fed Cts, whatever the judge likes). So it really depends on chambers.

For judges that target alums, the time you spent practicing will, I think, negate some of the injury to your app that the B- causes. It may even erase it, for all I know. But unfortunately, again, it's going to come down to the judge.

Short answer: there's no way of knowing if you're screwed. You might be screwed in some chambers, but I doubt you're screwed in all of them.

My best advice would be: to rock your other classes, to do well in a class/activity requiring you know evidence (mock trial, trial advocacy, whatever your school has) if such a thing is offered, apply everywhere you'd be willing to go for a year or two, and be ready with an answer if a judge or clerk asks you about it.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 am

I agree that it will vary widely from judge to judge. Many CoAs will look at your performance in core classes like Fed Courts and Evidence, but some will only look at your GPA. I also agree that your work experience will help overcome a low grade in one of the major/practical classes.

I would say that d.cts are far less likely to scrutinze your transcript, but then again, a number of d.ct judges care about evidence more highly than CoA judges do for obvious reasons. But I don't think you're out of the running provided the other parts of your application are competitive.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:03 pm

How'd it go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 pm

You're not at Michigan b/c otherwise just Pass it.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”