Transfer Student interested in clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Transfer Student interested in clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:27 pm

I finished top 1% at my first school (low ranked). I transferred to a lower-T14.

What sort of grades do I need to be competitive for D.Ct.? Is State Supreme Court worthwhile if I intend on remaining in the state? Can I begin applying as soon as I receive my new grades/will I be applying too late? What cycle do I apply for (16 or '17)?

Thanks

Nebby

Re: Transfer Student interested in clerkship

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Does your school's career services not have this information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm

As a transfer who clerked on both COA and D. Ct., I think the answer largely depends on your grades at your new school. If you continue to do really well (Top 5 or 10%), then you should be just as competitive as the kids at your new institution with similar grades. D. Ct. would be very realistic, and so would COA if you keep performing well. If you end up in the Top 25% at the new school, then maybe flyover COA, D. Ct. or State Supreme Court would be more realistic. And, of course, if you don't do well at your new school, clerking might be considerably more difficult.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:30 pm

I was a transfer to MVP who had top 2% grades at a middling Tier 2. I finished cum laude at my new school although I have no idea what my actual percentage was. Probably somewhere in the 25th to 30th percentile is my guess-- I had a GPA a little above 3.6 I think. I did my summer work at a reputable NYC firm, and had decent extracurricular a (moot court, journal executive board, etc.)

I decided to work for a couple of years before my clerkship and so u was applying during the very beginning of my first year as a lawyer. I was surprised by the number of clerkship interviews I got in competitive districts (although only a few in the super competitive districts.). I ended up with a clerkship in a great district court in a great location.

So, long story short, even with good not great grades you will not be relegated to flyover country. To improve your odds, I really think working for a bit resonates with some judges.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a transfer to MVP who had top 2% grades at a middling Tier 2. I finished cum laude at my new school although I have no idea what my actual percentage was. Probably somewhere in the 25th to 30th percentile is my guess-- I had a GPA a little above 3.6 I think. I did my summer work at a reputable NYC firm, and had decent extracurricular a (moot court, journal executive board, etc.)

I decided to work for a couple of years before my clerkship and so u was applying during the very beginning of my first year as a lawyer. I was surprised by the number of clerkship interviews I got in competitive districts (although only a few in the super competitive districts.). I ended up with a clerkship in a great district court in a great location.

So, long story short, even with good not great grades you will not be relegated to flyover country. To improve your odds, I really think working for a bit resonates with some judges.

The hardest part about xferring and trying to clerk is that the app deadlines are so early now and you have no time to get to know professors for recommendations. Therefore, doing what the above anon did is credited. Plan to work for a year after law school, which means you will apply to clerkships during the Fall of your 3L as well as full-time jobs, therefore you can get the clerkship that begins +1 year after graduation. It solves the time-issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:36 pm

MVP transfer, top 25% at new school. Was quite competitive for flyover D.Ct. opportunities, but ended up accepting SSC (CJ) position. Was more of a consequence of an exploding offer, than anything else - this all happened over the summer between 2L and 3L, to give you a sense of the timing. I reiterate the difficulty getting a good LOR from professors at the new school, on such short notice.

thechinaman12

Postby thechinaman12 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. any other anecdotes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:41 pm

I went from T50 to UT (for personal reasons) and applied for clerkships in a very limited and highly competitive market. I didn't put out any apps until I had fall 2L grades back and had a couple D Ct interviews that I didn't get as well as a few SSC interviews, one of which I did get. I may have had grades for COA, but all but one in the geographic area were filled by the time I had fall grades and that one had a specific prof as a gatekeeper who I didn't feel like buttering up in the week between getting grades and the app being due.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”