Let judges know you will be in the area?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawhopeful10

Let judges know you will be in the area?

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:04 pm

I know for firms after you have applied if you are going to be in town sometimes it makes sense to call and see if they can interview you while you are there. Does the same hold true for judges you have applied to but not heard back from? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Let judges know you will be in the area?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 pm

I would say no unless you have interviews with other judges in the area.

-COA Clerk

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:05 pm

I tried this and had zero luck, but I was trying to parlay a 4th Circuit interview in Baltimore into an interview with DC Circuit and DDC judges I applied to, so ymmv as I didn't really have a shot with any of those judges anyway. A guy who clerked on DC Circuit said they only paid much attention to people already interviewing with a DC Circuit judge.

It never hurts to try though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 pm

As a current clerk I wouldn't be bothered by this and would pass on the info. I attempted it with a few COA judges after I had an interview scheduled with a judge in the circuit--nothing panned out but I had a few friendly conversations (I seemed to get a lot of actual judges on the phone).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:18 pm

I got an extra interview by doing this. Definitely do it, doesn't hurt to try.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:56 am

Almost certainly won't hurt you, but (as others have said) it likely won't help unless you already have other interviews lined up.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:10 am

i'd agree with most. this could be helpful if you are at the top of the pile with the chambers and they are starting to schedule, but if you aren't going to get an interview, this isn't going to make a difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 am

My ex-bf got a COA clerkship doing this, but definitely double-check OSCAR. In my chambers, our OSCAR posting explicitly tells applicants not to call about an interview (in all caps), and people still freaking do it. Seriously, double-check.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the responses. I'll double check Oscar and if it doesn't say not too then I might try since it sounds like it can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:05 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Awesome, thanks for all the responses. I'll double check Oscar and if it doesn't say not too then I might try since it sounds like it can't hurt.

Does anyone (preferably, someone who has clerked or is currently clerking and had to deal with calls from candidates) have any suggestions about how to do this without coming across as overly pushy/presumptuous? I currently have three interviews set up within a highly competitive district, but there are a couple judges in the district that I've applied to (and haven't heard back from) who I would love to interview with while I'm in town...I live >3000 miles from the district, so it's unlikely that I'm going to be able to fly back to interview in the next couple months. Basically, I'm wondering how I can let them know that I'll be in town without making it sound like I assume they want to interview me. Also, is it more appropriate to call or email chambers in this case?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Just email, and explain that you will be in town to interview with other judges in the courthouse if the judge would be at all interested in meeting with you at that time. It's fairly common so I don't think it will come across as presumptuous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Just email, and explain that you will be in town to interview with other judges in the courthouse if the judge would be at all interested in meeting with you at that time. It's fairly common so I don't think it will come across as presumptuous.

Thank you! Is it okay to email judges directly, or should the emails be directed to the current clerks or the JA?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 pm

I would e-mail the JA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:Awesome, thanks for all the responses. I'll double check Oscar and if it doesn't say not too then I might try since it sounds like it can't hurt.

Does anyone (preferably, someone who has clerked or is currently clerking and had to deal with calls from candidates) have any suggestions about how to do this without coming across as overly pushy/presumptuous? I currently have three interviews set up within a highly competitive district, but there are a couple judges in the district that I've applied to (and haven't heard back from) who I would love to interview with while I'm in town...I live >3000 miles from the district, so it's unlikely that I'm going to be able to fly back to interview in the next couple months. Basically, I'm wondering how I can let them know that I'll be in town without making it sound like I assume they want to interview me. Also, is it more appropriate to call or email chambers in this case?

Like so many other aspects of this process, it is entirely idiosyncratic. My judge (2/DC) loathes any attempt to parlay interviews. So much so that we don't even tell him when applicants try; we just trash the application. In contrast, another judge in the same circuit will seriously consider interviewing candidates who already scored an interview with another judge. With that said, if you are making an attempt, I would not email the judge directly. In fact, I would never email a judge directly, notwithstanding a previous relationship or some sort of direct contact first (the judge emails you to thank you for interviewing/gives you permission to email directly with updates, etc.). Contacting the JA or clerks would be your best bet. The clerks might even give you a careful look, which is always an applicant's biggest hurdle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I would e-mail the JA.

How do you get the JA's email? I am trying to leverage a CoA interview with several judges in the same locale and also might attempt to leverage 2 CoA's in different locales for interviews in the circuit I currently practice in. I realize the latter may be completely unsuccessful (but honestly, I'm not that competitive anyways, not much to lose) but find the phone calls to be somewhat awkward. My intuition is that an e-mail, albeit easier to ignore, may be easier to respond to with less awkwardness. However, doesn't seem like e-mails are public info for many judges (obviously, I would never e-mail a judge directly)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”