How to answer why do you want to clerk Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to answer why do you want to clerk

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 am

One of my professors who is writing me a letter of recommendation also asked I write him a paragraph on why I want to clerk so he can better tailor my letter. I really just want to clerk because it will possibly help me get a job but I think I probably need to say something better than that. Any suggestions are appreciated.

ymmv

Diamond

Re: How to answer why do you want to clerk

Post by ymmv » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 am

You really can't think of anything? A chance to be exposed to a wide range of legal issues and arguments from accomplished attorneys? An opportunity to observe the litigation system from the "inside" and benefit from a judge's experience? Improve your legal research and writing skills along with your ability to craft a strong written argument? Gain practical familiarity with a wide range of motions and procedural processes?

I mean, come on, dude, you can do better than "it looks good on a resume." Talk to some clerks or former clerks and figure out why/whether you actually want to do this.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Serve the public, gain an experienced mentor in a field where mentorship is declining, get experience in X practice area because you like it and the court's docket has a lot of it, meet practicing attorneys and clients in the district/circuit/state you want to work in.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:18 pm

play a role in the constitutional system

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”