Question re: shopping around during your clerkship... Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Question re: shopping around during your clerkship...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 pm

So, I've already accepted my offer, but I would like to change cities. Is it really such a disastrous move to shop around during your clerkship? I've been told my CSO that it "ruins" your "professional reputation," whatever the hell that means.

My understanding is that it's fairly commonplace to look around despite having already accepted another offer. Feel free to correct that understanding...

sundance95

Gold

Re: Question re: shopping around during your clerkship...

Post by sundance95 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:25 pm

I think you should consider your CSO's institutional incentives CSO when you weigh their advice.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am

that's bullshit. if your firm isn't expecting you to test the waters during your clerkship then they're the naive ones. you should see what you can leverage from your clerkship, and in any case you should always be looking for your next job. i'm currently doing this and my judge has been on board with it. i told him how i thought it was slightly immoral to renege on my current firm and he laughed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:52 am

seizmaar wrote:that's bullshit. if your firm isn't expecting you to test the waters during your clerkship then they're the naive ones. you should see what you can leverage from your clerkship, and in any case you should always be looking for your next job. i'm currently doing this and my judge has been on board with it. i told him how i thought it was slightly immoral to renege on my current firm and he laughed.
What happens if your offering firm finds out you have been shopping around? I.e., does it frequently happen that firms withdraw offers? Will a firm turn a hot offer into a cold one?

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 pm

i avoided looking in my offer market just-in-case someone with loose lips got hold of my resume. honestly i would just tell my firm i was looking around just as a hedge and tell them i have every intention of returning. they should understand that--i'm sure clerks have been burned by firms before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm

seizmaar wrote:i avoided looking in my offer market just-in-case someone with loose lips got hold of my resume.
Partner A: "Yo, Partner B. I'm calling to let you know we just got a resume from Fungible Clerking Associate. Looks like your boy's shopping around!"
Partner B: "Huh? Who? Why would I care?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Not the OP but what about shopping around for other opportunities instead of a clerkship? I'm doing 2 clerkships, but the stars are aligning for me to get my dream job. Could I ditch on the second clerkship if it's like a thousand miles from where I'll practice, or nah?

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:45 pm

i get you cogburn, but out of an abundance of caution i stand by my action.

Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP but what about shopping around for other opportunities instead of a clerkship? I'm doing 2 clerkships, but the stars are aligning for me to get my dream job. Could I ditch on the second clerkship if it's like a thousand miles from where I'll practice, or nah?
ask yourself if you really want to annoy an article III judge. i would say this is something to weigh much more carefully than reneging on a lawfirm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:05 pm

OP here... Seems like the general consensus among TSL is that shopping around is entirely acceptable. Anyone have reason to believe that may not be true?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Shopped around (in the same market no less). Got and took offer from much better firm. Would do again.

Seriously, it's NBD. When I told my first firm, the hiring partner said they couldn't blame me for taking the offer.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 pm

please advise how you informed your firm you were reneging? how did it go over? i'm starting to get nervous though i know they'll just find another body in like 30 minutes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:16 pm

seizmaar wrote:please advise how you informed your firm you were reneging? how did it go over? i'm starting to get nervous though i know they'll just find another body in like 30 minutes.
I didn't tell them anything until I had already accepted the other offer. After that, I emailed the hiring partner of my old firm and said I wouldn't be coming back because I'd accepted an offer at firm Y instead. The hiring partner emailed back and said good luck and keep in touch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Maybe a unique perspective, but I might keep it discreet with my judge. Your judge is the only person who (1) knows you well enough to care, (2) is old-fashioned and has somewhat outmoded views of this type of stuff to where he/she would judge, and (3) is the only person who's opinion of you you'd really care about anyway. So what if Firm A in Boston hates you while you're chilling out at Firm B in Seattle? (Also, that's not what would happen at all. Firm A doesn't GAF.)

As for the core question in the OP, of course everyone else is right. Shopping around is fair and expected--your CSO's advice is either stupid or oriented towards the best interests of non-you individuals.

Don't be surprised if your old firm makes you pay back your bar stipend (Kirkland).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”